Making the best of a rusty bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverbow

I have an old Raleigh Wayfarer which is extremely rusty in parts and just light rusty in others! The baint work has plenty of old chips and rust and the chrome is in the same state too.

Mrs Silverbow whats to use the bike for going to the shops and the school run as it doesn't look that disireable. However it still could do with a spruce up.

I saw this video on eHow, but unfortunatley Vin has told me he doesn't ship his cleaing kit outside the US. ;)

I was wondering if any CC'ers had advice on how to get the best out of a bike without a respray. Are there any technics on cleaning the rust and polishing to halt its progression? Any advice tips gratefully received.

asterix

Comrade Member
If 'twere me I would do much to it except make sure the brakes worked (clean the rims, new brake blocks and cables),check the steering etc. You could wax the frame but as it's probably thick tubing a few rusty paint chips won't matter a lot.

+1

Its a steel frame so a bit of surface rust is no biggie.

The front wheel looks a bit rusty so a replacement is probably in order and I would get new tyres/tubes in case the old ones have perished.

kyuss

Veteran
For removing the rust on the chrome use coke and tin foil. Pour the coke on then get scrubbing with the tin foil. Sounds odd but it's really good at removing rust from shiny bits.

I've just done up a few oldies myself....... for the rusty chromed bits, I just gave them a once over with some 1000 guage wire wool...... the bits I could get off, I run over with my bench grinder fitted with a soft wire brush, and then, if needed a quick blast of matt black paint. Seems to work OK with mine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As somebody else wrote, don't waste your time trying to make a purse out of a pig's ear (or whatever). Just give it a good wax polish and let the scars and marks of a lifetime of work speak for themselves.

jimboalee

kyuss said:
For removing the rust on the chrome use coke and tin foil. Pour the coke on then get scrubbing with the tin foil. Sounds odd but it's really good at removing rust from shiny bits.

Strange but true.

When finished, give a lick of Kurust. Chrome will come up a lovely violet colour.

Tell Mrs Silverbow to brake early on wet days.

belairman

That's interesting. One of my other hobbies is old American cars, and there is a definite and growing sub-set of that hobby that is into preserving old cars, rust, sun-faded paint and all, not restoring them ... they are mechanically restored but the patina of age is preserved.

Go on start a trend!

asterix

Comrade Member
There's a fair bit of that in France. A couple of years ago I saw a motorcycle rally where many of the vehicles looked as it if they had just been found in a barn before the event. What's more their owners dressed to match!

Of course its easier to do this where the weather doesn't make rust such a problem.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is nothing better than an old piece of equipment with the honourable scars and marks of honest hard work.

....and nothing worse than the results of wilful neglect or abuse.

Top Bottom