Making a market cart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have been asked would our men's shed make a small baker cart.

I agreed as I have two 26" MTB tyres which would suit it.

Question I have is how to reliably and cheaply mount the wheels cantilevered to the side of the cart which will have 4x2 timber chassis and sculpted handles out the back?

Could a machinist machine some stub axles abs what size?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
To be honest they are not worth making, less than £100 on ebay with out all the hassle
Had mine now for two years and still going strong.

PapaZita

Guru
If your hubs have cup and cone bearings then I think you probably just need some appropriately threaded rod onto which the bearing parts could be assembled. Be aware that front and rear wheels may use different threads, e.g. 9mm for a front QR, and 10mm for a rear. Try and see if a locknut from your hubs will fit an M10 bolt that you might already have lying around. You can get 10mm threaded rod from a DIY shop to play around with and test things out, but i wouldn’t expect much from it in terms of strength. 9mm would be harder to find, but a machinist should be able to easily create either thread in good quality steel, once you’ve worked out what you need.

If existing axles are solid then your threads might be different. See: https://www.diymountainbike.com/bike-axle-thread-sizes/

dicko

Guru
If your hubs have cup and cone bearings then I think you probably just need some appropriately threaded rod onto which the bearing parts could be assembled. Be aware that front and rear wheels may use different threads, e.g. 9mm for a front QR, and 10mm for a rear. Try and see if a locknut from your hubs will fit an M10 bolt that you might already have lying around. You can get 10mm threaded rod from a DIY shop to play around with and test things out, but i wouldn’t expect much from it in terms of strength. 9mm would be harder to find, but a machinist should be able to easily create either thread in good quality steel, once you’ve worked out what you need.

If existing axles are solid then your threads might be different. See: https://www.diymountainbike.com/bike-axle-thread-sizes/

I was a centre lathe turner, turning your axle and screw threading it would be an easy job.

presta

Guru
I think you probably just need some appropriately threaded rod

Really? Just plain old mild steel studding? :rolleyes:

I'd be looking for some pukka stub axles, and a specification for their rated load, or else just build a chassis that supports both ends of ordinary axles:
1684505974227.png

PapaZita

Guru
Really? Just plain old mild steel studding? :rolleyes:

Well, yes, just to test out the concept. 😁 I was thinking that the finished part might be made from a nice piece of cro-mo or something. I’m imagining this all being fairly light duty and absolutely not for carrying humans. There are good reasons why real stub axles and their corresponding hubs are designed differently, but the OP seemed keen to use some existing wheels, so the axle diameter is what it is.

I agree entirely that a different design that supports both ends of the axles should be considered.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
6" nails driven into the wood worked for us on bogeys as kids. I don't think that's quite what you had in mind though. :laugh:

We used old fashion pram axles held onto a piece of 4x2 with fence wire staples!! Equally reliable.

dicko

Guru
Well, yes, just to test out the concept. 😁 I was thinking that the finished part might be made from a nice piece of cro-mo or something. I’m imagining this all being fairly light duty and absolutely not for carrying humans. There are good reasons why real stub axles and their corresponding hubs are designed differently, but the OP seemed keen to use some existing wheels, so the axle diameter is what it is.

I agree entirely that a different design that supports both ends of the axles should be considered.

EN8 engineering steel, also know as 080M40, is an unalloyed medium carbon steel. EN8 is a medium strength steel with good tensile strength.
Easy to turn and screw thread you should have no problems.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I'm going to talk to the miniature steam railway guys on Sunday to see if then can machine say some 15mm steel down to axle size one end.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
How much load is it going to have to take? Personally I'd not want to be loading 9/10mm axles in a cantilever stylee..

Top Bottom