Malala Yousafzai has won the Nobel Peace Prize!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

Thought I'd share with you the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize: Malala Yousafzai, who shared her award with an Indian doctor.

I can't think of anyone more deserving of the award, and I'm pleased that someone who is truly deserved of such an award, has won it. Good for her.

I read this article on CNN. The quotes from her are quite astounding, the wisdom, humbleness, kindness, and intellect is quite incredible for a girl of 17. Astonishingly bright young woman. She will go places.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's OK. The BBC has been sharing that news with us for the past ten hours or so.

Keep up at the back. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

vernon

Couldn't see anything in the Forum about it! :sad:

We do have a marvellous news service which shares big stories with the UK population. Pick any radio news bulletin, any UK TV channel, and any mainstream UK online newspaper and you'll not escape the story.

You were out-scooped.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hi all,

Thought I'd share with you the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize: Malala Yousafzai, who shared her award with an Indian doctor.

I can't think of anyone more deserving of the award, and I'm pleased that someone who is truly deserved of such an award, has won it. Good for her.

I read this article on CNN. The quotes from her are quite astounding, the wisdom, humbleness, kindness, and intellect is quite incredible for a girl of 17. Astonishingly bright young woman. She will go places.
Yes - excellent young lady

vernon

I liked the Daily Mash spoof on last year's Higgs physics prize:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...s-nobel-money-on-pimped-out-suv-2013100980201

Higgs, professor emeritus of theoretical physics at the University of Edinburgh, said: “I’ve dropped some serious Nobel cheddar on this bad boy.

“It’s sick.”

:biggrin:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Brilliant young woman 1 - Dumb old men in frocks 0 ^_^
Though, to be fair, Malala thanked her father for supporting her in her televised speech, so it's not a simple old men/young woman opposition. It took a whole family to make and support her, including her old(er) male father. It might actually be more effective to have a father speaking to her community about the value of educating daughters than the girl herself. But with such a remarkable daughter who can blame him for sitting back....?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My only worry is that she is now the darling of the chattering classes, who will claim her, and basically 'own' her as a mascot. :thumbsup:
Top marks to her though, brave girl, did the right thing. That can never be faulted, in my book.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Though, to be fair, Malala thanked her father for supporting her in her televised speech, so it's not a simple old men/young woman opposition. It took a whole family to make and support her, including her old(er) male father. It might actually be more effective to have a father speaking to her community about the value of educating daughters than the girl herself. But with such a remarkable daughter who can blame him for sitting back....?

Completely agree. I was thinking more of the people who shot her in the head. Unbelievable really.

ayceejay

Guru
I like that the medal is given as a reward for trying to bring peace rather than in the hope that the person will try to bring peace as has happened in the past.
In other news Angelina Jolie was made an honorary dame by the Queen today.

Top Bottom