Malala Yousafzai has won the Nobel Peace Prize!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 3322497, member: 259"]She's probably a person, Cranky, give it a rest. She's a **** of a lot braver than you or
I would ever have been.[/QUOTE]

No need to be obnoxious. I don't know who she is. A cyclist trying to bring peace to the world?

It always makes me laugh as Nobel invented dynamite and who then blew up his brother. He became very wealthy, as his explosive products sold well. When he died he left a very large endowment fund from which the Nobel prize is awarded to those who have pursued or pursue peaceful endeavours to help humanity. The irony.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No need to be obnoxious. I don't know who she is. A cyclist trying to bring peace to the world?

It always makes me laugh as Nobel invented dynamite and who then blew up his brother. He became very wealthy, as his explosive products sold well. When he died he left a very large endowment fund from which the Nobel prize is awarded to those who have pursued or pursue peaceful endeavours to help humanity. The irony.

umm, dynamite is essentially a peaceful product used for mining, tunnelling and the like. It can't be fired from guns you know, else you'd "be hoist on your own petard" as the Bard might have it

hoopdriver

Guru

No irony at all. You need to take the blinkers off and remember that explosives are used for many more things than war - construction, for example. Many of the great engineering prohects of the late 19th century were built using dynamite. One if the first was the Gotthard railway tunnel in Switzerland.

And if you haven't heard of Malala before today, you need to get out more.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Saw a hilarious tweet earlier - Naomi Campbell congratulating 'Malaria' on her 'Noble' Peach prize...

Also saw screenshots of Daily Mail website comments, complaining Malala hadn't done anything special, and was just benefiting from the NHS. For every positive person, there seem to be a dozen hateful pillocks.

Anyway, well done her (and the other chap, I'm afraid I don't know who he is)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Saw a hilarious tweet earlier - Naomi Campbell congratulating 'Malaria' on her 'Noble' Peach prize...

Also saw screenshots of Daily Mail website comments, complaining Malala hadn't done anything special, and was just benefiting from the NHS. For every positive person, there seem to be a dozen hateful pillocks.

Anyway, well done her (and the other chap, I'm afraid I don't know who he is)
I also came across one where UKIP's man of Clacton's future (Clacton Today, Tomorrow The World) got tweet-quoted as saying he was unfamiliar with the case.

perplexed

Guru
Digressing a little, but I've seen a couple of quotes from Clacton-ites along the lines of "I voted UKIP because the Tory chap before was useless." <sigh>

As you were.

Aye. Was it Churchill who proffered the view that the best argument against democracy was a ten minute chat with the average voter?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aye. Was it Churchill who proffered the view that the best argument against democracy was a ten minute chat with the average voter?

I can't work out which is worse - ignorant people not bothering to vote, or ignorant people voting!

I remember Brian Sewell being interviewed about the plan for a Diana memorial fountain, (he said the money could be better spent), and the interviewer said "But the people want it..." and Sewell replied, in that utterly clipped voice of his "But people are stupid!".

He's not someone I care for all that much, but I liked him that day!

Top Bottom