Malvern Hills Advice pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Hi All

I’m working in Cheltenham Sat morning and fancy combining it with a ride - I’ve never climbed the Malvern Hills any advice Re Circuits / parking etc much appreciated-I cycle 6 days out of 7 varied distances can’t claim to be a mountain goat 🐐 though - pictured two bike options my Boardman Hybrid lighter but more like city commuting tyres and my quarter of a century old Steel MTB heavier with blackJack tyres
Any thoughts advice much appreciated regards Humps
3C6E2BB7-20E5-489F-85F1-329A5B98A352.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are you specifically wanting the Malverns? They are a bit of a trek to get to and you have the Cotswolds right on your doorstep, with (OTTOMH) Cleeve Hill a good stiff climb for starters, and some great roads and tracks around the villages in that area.

Used to love the Milk Race finishing in the Malverns. Usually won by some Russian dude.
No idea about routes - you could try komoot or the Strava popularity heat map to see what people do ?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
There are lots of good reasons for choosing the Malverns, and if that's what you've decided you want to do then go for it.

If you only have a few hours available you can do a reasonably complete job on the Malverns, whereas you could only peck at the edge of what the Cotswolds have to offer. One of the Malverns' greatest features is the high-level road encircling the main peaks, giving exceptional views in every direction, and if you so inclined you can ride the track to the highest point comfortably on a road bike; Worcestershire Beacon at 425 metres is far higher than anything the Cotswolds can offer.

I've knocked together a route on RideWithGPS which starts and finishes in Upton upon Severn. I've parked in the Rugby Club car park before and I don't remember having to pay; there seems to be free parking in the bit of old road inside the bend a little further out of town. I think I've set the permissions correctly:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37380898

The roads climbing from the east tend to be steeper than the west; I've drawn the route climbing from Colwall on the western side which is normally my preferred ascent, with a couple of big hairpins near the top. I've begun with a gentlish warm-up over Castlemorton Common and Hollybush which are well worth doing in their own right. After the Wyche summit I've then drawn a complete anticlockwise circuit of the high-level road before heading back to Upton. The optional ascent to the Worcestershire Beacon is from Upper Wyche.

There are many options of course, but I think this route hits most of the highlights in a mere 34 miles. There will be traffic, but none of the roads are particularly fast and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them.

Good luck! HTH.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
@Pale Rider is correct. I'm a local. @Aravis route is a good one with some flat from and back to Upton and will give you a good taste of what the Malverns are all about. Be warned that the A449 (west of British Camp) can be quite busy/fast (for my taste). As can that northerly route from Upton by The Rhydd to Malvern although the approach by Guarlford is one of the best views. Nice cafes in Ledbury if you want a halfway house. Also in Colwall as well as the main part of Great Malvern. Not sure how far you intend to ride. Plenty of lanes and hills and miles if you want. OS Landranger Sheet 150 does east of the Malverns and OS Landranger 149 does west. If you want more miles than Aravis has suggested I have loads of possible routes. Just shout.
parked in the Rugby Club car park before and I don't remember having to pay;
Yes the Upton Rugby Club car park is free. Don't know as never tried but the relatively new doctors surgery has a car park too - just east of Aravis layby.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Of course, I should have included @Aravis in my recommendation for 'cyclists on here who know'.

I spent most of my formative years living on a farm about two miles from Upton on Severn.

My schoolboy cycling was confined to three mile rides to school, and 'long' weekend rides which were probably no longer than six miles.

A ride around Bredon Hill was a big adventure.

I've been driven and driven around the Malverns many times, but at the time the climbing meant I never considered it an area suitable for cycling.

I don't doubt @Aravis when he says the British Camp/Worcestershire Beacon is far higher than anything in the Cotswolds, although from memory, the British Camp and Cleeve Hill road climbs are about equally daunting.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Having a hearty Breakfast here many thanks I’m going to “go for it” my parents are providing a post ride Saturday night meal on route back to the Midlands so Cheltenham (work) Malverns (Riding) Stourbridge (Meal) then across Suburbia for a good nights sleep 💤 once again many many thanks All 👍

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Having a hearty Breakfast here many thanks I’m going to “go for it” my parents are providing a post ride Saturday night meal on route back to the Midlands so Cheltenham (work) Malverns (Riding) Stourbridge (Meal) then across Suburbia for a good nights sleep 💤 once again many many thanks All 👍
Let us know your route, how you got on and what you thought of it all. But whatever - enjoy.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Evening All,

Well that was really enjoyable I didn’t quite follow the exact options but great tips and insight - I went up the Great Malvern Rd first and then back along the lower portion that maybe was suggested to go up the other way around lopped the West Malvern Rd then up to the Beacon and down the other side - did walk my bike up to the last portion of the Beacon once off the main gravel trail but hey Ho ! Pint and Ice cream flake on the way back down - many thanks all for quality advice

Attachments

• C3E3D47B-FC43-4553-B443-31328EC12B16.jpeg
    C3E3D47B-FC43-4553-B443-31328EC12B16.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 381A4CA6-F950-46C5-83A4-B9E759227089.jpeg
    381A4CA6-F950-46C5-83A4-B9E759227089.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 13
  • A47C9897-D9CF-45D4-A99F-C25BC7A885B8.jpeg
    A47C9897-D9CF-45D4-A99F-C25BC7A885B8.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 13

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @HumpTdumpty, a couple of great images there. I must admit I've never taken a bike to the summit of Worcestershire Beacon, but I knew it was possible provided you're not averse to a little off-roading.

My ride yesterday also took me through Upton, and for once I paid a bit more attention to the available parking. It's only about 16 miles from where I live, but if I can start a ride from there it opens up areas to the north which are otherwise out of reach. So I've picked up a good hint also.

That high-level road around the Malverns is a great feature. I once used it as part of creative ride outline which I was quite pleased with. I trust everyone can see what it was supposed to be:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Excellent @HumpTdumpty . 👍 Glad you had fun. Unlike @Aravis I've had my bike up at the top (MtB). It's a very popular activity to MtB up there in the dark in the autumn/winter when the walkers have retreated. They are bridleways so perfectly OK to ride with consideration of the walkers (as is formally required) but there can be a bit of conflict maybe due to some riders being thoughtless.

Anyway - hope you come back to explore a bit further. Quieter at the southern end.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well done @HumpTdumpty, a couple of great images there. I must admit I've never taken a bike to the summit of Worcestershire Beacon, but I knew it was possible provided you're not averse to a little off-roading.

My ride yesterday also took me through Upton, and for once I paid a bit more attention to the available parking. It's only about 16 miles from where I live, but if I can start a ride from there it opens up areas to the north which are otherwise out of reach. So I've picked up a good hint also.

That high-level road around the Malverns is a great feature. I once used it as part of creative ride outline which I was quite pleased with. I trust everyone can see what it was supposed to be:

View attachment 607741
Is that a bunny rabbit?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I must admit I've never taken a bike to the summit of Worcestershire Beacon,

News to me it could be done at all.

The road climb to British Camp would be enough for many of us, so cracking on up to the Beacon is a good effort.

Last time I was up there was on a school trip.

Part of the reason for it was so we could see a triangulation point.

Top Bottom