man bites dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
They've given up on bikes and moved onto cars :ohmy: The wife had her new car for about 10 days when a large sheepdog thing hit the bumper, making a large hole in it and smashing the headlight glass. Fortunately, it was OK and only had a small cut and bruising, the car definitely came off worse. Oddly enough the dog's name was Lucky :tongue:

Cue the aggro of trying to get £400 off the negligent owner to cover the insurance excess, plus potentially increased premiums in the future. According to his neighbour who witnessed everything, he just kept it in the garden & never took it for a walk, so it ran off when it had a chance. The dog clearly isn't the problem, just the moron supposedly looking after it.:stop:

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
Get yourself over to Spain. Guaranteed dog chasing action there.
that may account for the quality of Spanish riders

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I had a finger tip bitten off by a dog two years ago. Working door to door I must have been bitten at least half a dozen more times over the years, fortunately the rest were just minor cuts.

More seriously, a month ago a 72 year old woman in nearby Goodwick was babysitting her eight year old grand daughter when the family "Pet", an American Bulldog said to weigh around twelve stone turned on her after the girl went out to play and she was left alone with the dog.

It is estimated that the attack went on for nearly an hour and only stopped when the son in law returned home and found bits of flesh scattered all over the house and the poor woman in the garden where the dog had dragged her. After being airlifted to hospital in Cardiff she was put in an induced coma and had an arm amputated. Her family was told that it was only 50/50 as to whether her legs would have to go too. Thankfully she died without coming round, a much more favourable outcome than being virtually limbless with the horrific memory of what had happened haunting her remaining years.

The paramedics who attended had to have stress councilling after two hours of trying to get her in a safe state to even move her to the air ambulance. The dog was not an illegal breed so no charges have been bought, but how thick must people be to think that an animal that weighs as much as a hefty man could possibly be a safe bet as a domestic pet?

I have been chased by 2 dogs in the last couple of year - one I outran easily as it had very short legs
The other time I was riding alongside a park - the type where they play football matches on SUndays. 3 dogs were running around with each other normally - owners were about the width of a football pitch away.
One of the dogs saw me through the park fence and the 3 of them ran along inside the fence until the owners called them back
Except one of them
He kept on - as it was a bit downhill I decided to outrun him. I was well over 20 mph when he found a gap in the fence and came through to start running along the pavement.
I kept going, reaching about 30 mph and the bu***r was keeping up. Looking like a standard Heinz 57 but must have had some greyhound in it.
then the dumb thing shot towards me forcing me to swerve right across the road.
Fortunately , when he got close I yelled at him and he stopped - looking rather disappointed - I really think he was just playing and would have been fine
but how do you tell???

Basically - I tend to stop if dogs come up to me unless they are clearly aggressive - no point in triggering a chase reflex in a sight predator!!

byegad

Legendary Member
I did have a dog go for me a couple of weeks ago...walking along Brora beach minding my own business this black lab came haring over in full on attack mode....WTF! The damn thing looked crazed and i did wonder later whether it was suffering from some kind of dementia, anyhow i side stepped its attempt at biting me and gave it a hard kick in the ribs at which point it ****** off. The owner said and bad owners all say this "its never done that before"....
Yes like the infamous 'he doesn't bite', usually said of a dog in full attack mode and seconds prior to it attempting to do just that!

I had a finger tip bitten off by a dog two years ago. Working door to door I must have been bitten at least half a dozen more times over the years, fortunately the rest were just minor cuts.

More seriously, a month ago a 72 year old woman in nearby Goodwick was babysitting her eight year old grand daughter when the family "Pet", an American Bulldog said to weigh around twelve stone turned on her after the girl went out to play and she was left alone with the dog.

It is estimated that the attack went on for nearly an hour and only stopped when the son in law returned home and found bits of flesh scattered all over the house and the poor woman in the garden where the dog had dragged her. After being airlifted to hospital in Cardiff she was put in an induced coma and had an arm amputated. Her family was told that it was only 50/50 as to whether her legs would have to go too. Thankfully she died without coming round, a much more favourable outcome than being virtually limbless with the horrific memory of what had happened haunting her remaining years.

The paramedics who attended had to have stress councilling after two hours of trying to get her in a safe state to even move her to the air ambulance. The dog was not an illegal breed so no charges have been bought, but how thick must people be to think that an animal that weighs as much as a hefty man could possibly be a safe bet as a domestic pet?
The laws have to be changed. These things are not uncommon.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've been chased by Yorkshire terriers on a couple of fairly recent occasions. Apparently they were bred to chase things that move. They've got a nasty bite so I didn't stop to find out.

Top Bottom