Man down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Commuting home with a friend today, we were approaching a steep but short incline. We both got out of the saddle to attack the slope, with my friend a short distance ahead of me.

Putting in a fair bit of effort, we were ascending the hill at somewhere in the region of 20mph when suddenly my friends front wheel slides out from underneath him, and he hits the deck.

At this point it was obvious the surface was slick. I didn't have enough time to swerve around him, so I applied the brakes in an attempt to not run straight over my friend and his bike! After dropping off some speed, I must have hit the same slippery patch, and down I went too. Me and the bike slid along the ground until we came to a stand still.

I'd landed with most of my weight on my knee (which was bleeding). Ouch! Other injuries include cuts and scrapes to hands, arm and shoulder. Nothing too bad though. My friend got off with no injuries! :rolleyes:

But the worst part.. My brand new Alivio rear mech is now scratched up! :sad: Other damage to the bike include more scratches on an already scratched pedal, the cycle computer mount broke, and the RHS brake lever moved during the impact of landing.

Nothing too bad, although it made my commute a bit more eventful than I would have liked!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
GWS - but you mean you were descending? :hello:

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
GWS - but you mean you were descending? :hello:

Nope, ascending! It was a short but fairly steep ascent after a similarly short but steep descent, so it's easy to take at high speeds - And I normally do with no issues.

Bit sore from the initial impact, but no real damage done. Went out for a short 7 mile ride and got on fine at low speeds. :smile:

Top Bottom