"Man on, man on"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Cow shed mate ... St James' Park ... Exeter.

I'm allied to the other St.James' Park,the one with the Gallowgate,a headbutting motor mouth hooligan manager:wacko: & rich owner who knows nowt about football other than selling mega-tons of the kit in his Sports Direct retail chain.
Lord help us.

asterix

Comrade Member
Man On is a warning to a wendyballist with the ball to let them know that another wendyballist is approaching with the intention of what wendyballists laughably refer to as "tackling" them from an unsighted position.

You mean taking them from behind? How unsporting!

Fubar

Guru
I too understand the game and I'll even watch a game on TV sometimes, but the way the sport comes across at the top level, it seems to be populated by pansies. :wacko:

Still, half the crowd seems to be drunk, maybe if I get completely ratted whilst watching it'll be better?

That's what everyone else does...

Fubar

Guru
[QUOTE 2988069, member: 76"]So why would the player with the ball look up, shout 'Man on' and then carry on with the ball? I wonder if he even knew what the hell it means, I reckon half of the players on the field just shout it because everyone else does :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's why he's playing for Cheddar FC and not Barcelona.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a Scots customer in Jo'burg who used to play professional football for one of the Glasgow teams. He was once warned that Alex Ferguson (who was also a footballer at that time) was a dirty player and not to got near enough for Fergie to fake an injury and dive. He did and Fergie did but my customer had remembered the warning and pulled back from tackling; the ref saw it all and told Fergie to get on with the game.

Thought you might be interested.

I am not really a football fan, although I do follow the fortunes of the non-league club in the town where I grew up. Very occasionally I even get to a match.

The thing with football is: it's much more fun to go and watch non-league or minor league games, with small crowds, where the standard of heckling from the touchlines is so much funnier. Mainly, I suppose, because there are very few other people spectating, so the chance of anyone taking offence is vastly reduced....

Of course, the standard of the play is so much worse, but occasionally someone produces a vaguelt half competent moment!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At first I thought the thread title was "Man on Man"

MarkF

Guru
I try my best to get my team to tic-a-tac their way up the pitch, hoofing is banned. But one particularly vocal parent has one just one bit of advice, and it goes on all bleedin game, "Ge' eet ovver t'op, ovver t'op, ovver t'op is warits bout" :sad:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I remember playing in an inter-office football match where our captain on the pitch (until he pulled his hamstring after 10 minutes, after which he continued as coach from the touchline) spent the whole game yelling "WHO'S ASKING QUESTIONS?"

ayceejay

Guru
Back in the day when men were men and a centre half was a part time executioner and a centre forward consequently had a smile like Joe Jordan "Man on" was followed by "Man down" and the sound of the feet of the St John's Ambulance stretcher carriers.

Top Bottom