Manchester 100 - CC team?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
nigelnorris said:
Eh? It says on the site that the money is for a hospital charity:

http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=207

Read it again. It doesn't say the money is for a hospital charity at all. They make this plain in the blurb when you sign on with Bike Events that any money raised for the charity has to be donated by the riders. Bike Events make no contribution at all, as the charity who they organised the Skipton ride for last year found to their cost (and disgust).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ed - you can do what distance you want...your number will be different though for the 60 odd....but it doesn't matter - no-one takes notice... TBH I'll shove my number in my pocket this year as it was a pain, as it rained a bit last year...the thing was flapping about and started to come to bits.... If doing the KM's you'll be given a later start time.

It doesn't matter, there is no timing etc.... so just start earlier.

Event fees go to organisers, any sponsorship goes to Christies.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh... some points..

We were waved off at 7 - it was a bit like..."OK 7am you can go......" - a few just started riding..... we got a group together of about 20 after a few miles/traffic lights.. the only folk in front were a few lads that 'went for it' - they didn't even do the compulsory stop.

Our group picked up a few others who had set off earlier...but we were first into the stop at about 60 miles. The stop won't really let you out before 10am....that might be due to marshals not at junctions..... the 'going for it' lot just didn't check in..... Stops are basic... you have water to top up bottles - so take energy drink powder - TBH the Nantwich stop is the only one you'll do for a quick re-fil and a pee.

The last 40 is fine, you soon hit the 'occasional cyclists' on the 100km course, so be carefull.

As this is a charity ride, you need to be self sufficient. Only bank on water being available. You can buy tea/cake at the stops if needed.

PaulB

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Event fees go to organisers,

That being the case (and you don't get anything for the entry fee at all - you even have to buy your own food) I'll ask again if I'm out of order suggesting people turn up and do it without giving this for-profit company £16? Why not give the £16 to the charity instead?

Alun

Guru
PaulB said:
Read it again. It doesn't say the money is for a hospital charity at all. They make this plain in the blurb when you sign on with Bike Events that any money raised for the charity has to be donated by the riders. Bike Events make no contribution at all, as the charity who they organised the Skipton ride for last year found to their cost (and disgust).

Is that the Yorkshire 100km that wasn't repeated this year?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Alun said:
Is that the Yorkshire 100km that wasn't repeated this year?

Think so. The charity (wasn't it Scope IIRC?) were very annoyed at the attitude of Bike Events and in an e-mail to me, at least, they said they would not be associated with this company again.

grimpeur

Veteran
I'll ask again if I'm out of order suggesting people turn up and dI'll ask again if I'm out of order suggesting people turn up and do it without giving this for-profit company £16?

You have a point. I suppose there is more of an incentive in finishing the race if you've paid for the privilege.

I'm not doing this for charidee.
It's probably a bit like the average moton obtaining sponsorship for driving 250 miles.

Going to travel light for this one. Might have to invest in a seat pack for my fixie, then stuff a mini pump and as much food as I can into my jersey pockets.

PaulB

Legendary Member
grimpeur said:
You have a point. I suppose there is more of an incentive in finishing the race if you've paid for the privilege.

If you want to do a race, do a race. One thing the Manchester 100 definitely is not, is a race.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
PaulB said:
That being the case (and you don't get anything for the entry fee at all - you even have to buy your own food) I'll ask again if I'm out of order suggesting people turn up and do it without giving this for-profit company £16? Why not give the £16 to the charity instead?

I'm happy to admit I've done this on several occassions. I take the entry fee with me and keep an eye open for a donation bucket. If I can't find one I make a donation later direct to the charity. I started this one year when I hadn't entered and felt guilty at exploiting the charity, though I later discovered I wasn't because none of the money goed to the charity. If money was going to the charity I'm sure Bike Eventsswould be trumpeting the fact.

I suppose the benefit from a charity's view is the ride exists and provides an opportunity for funding raising via individual sponsorship, the charity has no organisational costs and receives 100% of any sponsorship money an individual raises. I was annoyed though when I discovered none of my entry fee went to a charity.

grimpeur

Veteran
If you want to do a race, do a race. One thing the Manchester 100 definitely is not, is a race.

You call it what you want.

I'll call it a race- because I will be racing against the clock for my own personal goals.

Top Bottom