manchester 100 mile ride for christies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

has anyone got a map or gpx route for the 100 mile christies ride, considering doing it but i want to have a look at the route first

No but I'm thinking of doing it :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - here. I haven't checked every last mile of it, but that looks like the route I did 5 or 6 times on the M100.

NB - It has been mentioned many times before, but Bike Events do not give any of the entry money to the charity/charities associated with their rides - in fact they actually charge the charities for putting on the events! The charities get the money raised by riders asking for sponsorship.

should be fun, ive dont 65 miles before, i just want to see how big the hills are first
Very fit riders describe the route as 'pan flat' whereas unfit riders get off and walk in quite a few places! It isn't flat, but it is as flat as you will get around these parts. If you are moderately fit, you'll be okay. I managed it in 6 hours lots of times and I wasn't super-fit.

There have been quite a few threads about it both here and on BikeRadar in the past with a lot more details.

Yes - here. I haven't checked every last mile of it, but that looks like the route I did 5 or 6 times on the M100.

NB - It has been mentioned many times before, but Bike Events do not give any of the entry money to the charity/charities associated with their rides - in fact they actually charge the charities for putting on the events! The charities get the money raised by riders asking for sponsorship.
Good call Mr J. If I do it I'll tag along from some point near the start. I've vowed not to pay Bike Events another penny. The Great Manchester Cycle was the final nail in their coffin IMO. That was superbly organised and sublimely executed. Yes you had to pay but it was only a tenner and it was worth every penny IMO, not something I've ever been able to say about the Manchester to Blackpool ride with Bike Events, £17.50 this year:thumbsdown:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The gpx is widely available on the web - just google it. The route hasn't changed.

I've ridden it twice, and it's what I'd call pan flat. There are a couple of lumps near Kelsall and Delamere, a few short sharp hills, and a sting near the end near Styal (I got up this fine even with cramp).

The fee to Bike Events gets you and the Charity nothing. There are marshalls on virtually every junction, these are volunteers though !

I've paid twice - mainly as the 'you've paid so ride it' motivation. If you are hoping to set off at 7.))am and ride there, you will need lights as it's dark at 6:15/6:30. I've ridden to and from the start covering 120 miles in total. 1st time I really enjoyed it, got in a good group and had a good chat. Second time wasn't anything like as fun. Got in the first group to form on the road, and the guys just didn't want to chat, one guy in particular just wanted to set the fastest possible pace (he was very strong though). Some of their riding got silly, so I was glad when I got a minor mechanical (front mech wouldn't shift) - a very quick fix, but I spent then next 50 miles on my own (disadvantage of being on the road too early).

I may ride again this year, but I'll start after 7:30 (start before 8 though - that's when the 'masses' start', and probably just ride past the start, do the route and turn home.

The ride gets abit messy after Crewe when you pick up the short route riders, many of whome are wobbly bobs.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Its about as flat a ride as your going to get.
Did it last year and the small hills were no problem, what go to me was the never ending country lanes, as towards the end you think you are never going to get back to the start.
Would say its the easiest 100miles you could do.

endoman

you also have to pay for any food at the feedstations, was a fast route, but I wouldn't pay to do it again, no timing etc. Got in a great group last year from Seamons rc which drove us round at what was then a sharpish pace for me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm doing this and have ridden it once before several-10 years ago without any training and at a time in my life when my cycling was minimal! I don't remember it being particularly hilly at all and not too challenging although I remember feeling exceedingly elated/delirious/ecstatic after I passed Wilmslow on the return leg and began to realise I was going to do my first ever 100 miles.

I’m not pretending this is a charity ride, like Fossyant said above, purely entering for the ‘I’ve paid so I WILL ride’ motivation, it’s on my doorstep and it fits in with my work pattern. I intend to ride alone so I can set my own pace but if anyone wants to tag along for a while then let me know. My designated start time is 7am but I might hold back for 30 minutes and I intend to keep an average speed of about 15mph or a bit more if I can maintain it over the distance. The big test before this ride is the Blackpool trip this weekend where I am riding from home to M/cr then to Blackpool and back home. Total distance will be close to 130 miles so I should get a good feel for the pace I can set for the longer distances (the Blackpool one IS for charity, I have raised more than I expected for this one so far).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My designated start time is 7am but I might hold back for 30 minutes and I intend to keep an average speed of about 15mph or a bit more if I can maintain it over the distance.
Skolly you should be able to get close to 20 average. Seen you ride enough.
I agree - I did it several times at about 17 mph average speed when I was only semi-fit so I'd see you doing 19-20 mph if the weather conditions are okay and you make a decent effort. :bravo:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nice sentiment guys but I can only just break the 20mph ave barrier on my commute over just 10 miles so doubt I could keep that pace up for 100! I think 17.5-18mph ave might be realistic but I don't want to go off like a bull in a china shop only to find I have nothing left to give at the end.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do 17.5 ave on my commute. The Man 100 has very few traffic lights. I've ridden with you mate and you are very strong. I've done it twice in 5 hours 5 mins - second time was windier, and I cramped 30 miles from home, so lost loads of time which was really annoying to say the least.

TBH it's nicer to set a good pace and have a chat with others.

It is a nice run out though ! I've so far resisted the temptation to stop at the pub in Middlewich. Do we want a CC social ride ?

Top Bottom