manchester 100 mile ride for christies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Nice sentiment guys but I can only just break the 20mph ave barrier on my commute over just 10 miles so doubt I could keep that pace up for 100! I think 17.5-18mph ave might be realistic but I don't want to go off like a bull in a china shop only to find I have nothing left to give at the end.

You're bob on Skol with that average.

You'll only get close to 20 if you get in a few groups/share the wind with a few others.

I've done it the last 2 years. It's a flat and fast course. Last year I averaged over 19mph, I was in a very fast group for the first half (to midway point) then me and another guy 2up tt'd for the next 35 miles. I was bolloxed by then and cruised in.

Year before I averaged about 16-but was slowed down a lot by my mate that I had to keep waiting for.

If I'm around that weekend I'll do it.

400bhp

Guru
Hills, there aint any!

Yeah, love to join you - just got to book a holiday and a christening in Sept then I'll know when I'm free.:thumbsup:

I won't be paying though.:whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wind makes a big difference. First year it was light wind, and we had a decent group to half way (me on front) but we didn't kill it and talked alot. Second half it died out and I dragged a lad home for 40 miles. Second time, it was very windy, and I got caught in a mental group that went stupid from the A56. Silly speeds for about 30 miles, shed the group from 20 to about 8 when I went off with a mechanical (glad I did). Rode to the half way checkpoint on my own and re-grouped with the other lads that had been shelled. But I cramped in middlewich and struggled the last 30.

Best way is to ride with mates and enjoy it. Do we want to do a CC ride aiming at under 6 hours 'ride time' - so a pub stop might be on the cards. :thumbsup: Might take 3 hours in the pub though.

fossyant

I won't be paying either this time.

Suggest a meet up near the Park Entrance, or just as you turn off the main road before the park - Northenden side. We won't need to even check in at the School at 58 miles. Water refils can be done at a shop !

Worth an 'informal' Manchester 100 ride thread ?

400bhp

Guru
Best way is to ride with mates and enjoy it. Do we want to do a CC ride aiming at under 6 hours 'ride time' - so a pub stop might be on the cards. :thumbsup: Might take 3 hours in the pub though.

^^this^^

I'm afraid I don't have too much patience for riding "slow" when doing more than 60 miles - makes the day very long.

400bhp

Guru
I won't be paying either this time.

Suggest a meet up near the Park Entrance, or just as you turn off the main road before the park - Northenden side. We won't need to even check in at the School at 58 miles. Water refils can be done at a shop !

Worth an 'informal' Manchester 100 ride thread ?

Yup-state the ride time though. :thumbsup:

fossyant

With the hills they are little sharp bumps. I remember a couple of guys in our 'friendly' group asking 'where are the climbers' just as I cruised past. They then said 'hang on, you've got the same sprocket on every gear there' - looking at my 13 x 21 straight through block :hello: . I used the 39 x 21 a couple of times.

As a 'commuting cyclist' you will find your fitness is way above the average, even on the 100 miles.

My first 100 was a year after I'd got back to commuting regular - had spend 8 years not riding too much. I was doing 20 miles day - really battered many of them - lots just rode at weekends.

fossyant

I shall start an 'informal rides thread'. OK it will be a good paced ride, mechanicals etc, we all stop. Self sufficiency to some extent with food, but top up with water at local shops etc. (basically Nantwich only) so carry enough water to get 50-60 miles. Not insane speeds. Steady good paced, good sharing of the front ?

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
hi guys, I'm looking to do this if I can encourage a couple of the other boys to do it, but, for those who have done it previously, is this just strictly tarmac lanes all the way through? The only reason I ask is we did the Liverpool Chester today and went through some pretty nasty tracks on road bikes, tracks I'd be wary using a mountain bike on! I wasn't impressed :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
hi guys, I'm looking to do this if I can encourage a couple of the other boys to do it, but, for those who have done it previously, is this just strictly tarmac lanes all the way through? The only reason I ask is we did the Liverpool Chester today and went through some pretty nasty tracks on road bikes, tracks I'd be wary using a mountain bike on! I wasn't impressed :smile:

Yes, completely tarmac. All those fair weather sportive riders won't stand for getting their carbon fibre exotica dirty!

Top Bottom