England : Greater Manchester Manchester 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Stone

Hi all, is there another trad with this on?

If not never ridden before thinking of the 60k, 100 may be that bridge to far at the moment. Any who's what's it like? Hilly, super hilly of KOM hilly?

Cheers

Nick

OP
OP
Nick Stone

Nick Stone

Ops should say thread

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's a good ride with no hills that I can recall. There are a couple of short, sharp inclines which always seem to catch me out.

Just after Wilmslow, about 90 miles in, there is a dip, steep downhill followed by an immediate very sharp climb. There is always a problem here with traffic, knackered riders just stopping without warning and those of us still on the bike trying to dodge them.

Good ride though not much fun if the weather is poor so I usually enter on the day. The entry fee is a rip off so I give the money direct to charity and join the ride.

OP
OP
Nick Stone

Nick Stone

Cheers Colin, just checked out those threads, got 9 weeks o get some more miles in then here we come!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cheers Colin, just checked out those threads, got 9 weeks o get some more miles in then here we come!!!
Have fun!

I always enjoyed the first 80 miles or so, but found the traffic in the last 20 miles a bit of a pain.

One day when I'm fit again, I'll go back and try and do it in 5 hours. I've done it in sub-6 hours (plus a 'compulsory' 30 min stop halfway) but I never really got stuck in the one time I was fit because my mate was struggling that year and I paced him round.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi all, is there another trad with this on?

If not never ridden before thinking of the 60k, 100 may be that bridge to far at the moment. Any who's what's it like? Hilly, super hilly of KOM hilly?

Cheers

Nick

The route is flat as a pancake, perfect for a 1st 100 mile ride. I did the 100 last year with a bunch from here, the route is okay, some nice sections, some crap sections. I think the small climb about 90 miles in someone referred to may be at Styal? Lots of people either knackered or simply slow up inclines suddenly come to a near stop and you end up dodging people, that said it is not very long at all, more of a lump than a climb. The final run in to the finish is fairly traffic heavy too. I probably wouldn't bother with it again, but worth going along once.

ColinJ

The route is flat as a pancake ...
Remind me not to buy any of those lumpy pancakes in Manchester! :thumbsup:

In fact, the M100 is not flat - it has about 3,000 ft of climbing over its 100 miles.

It is true that in the great scheme of things the hills are not that long or that severe but they are hard enough to be pretty tiring for the unfit or novice rider. Only fit riders call it flat!

I grovelled on the climbs on 4 or 5 of the times that I rode the event, but I was riding at speeds beyond my fitness level and had nothing left for climbing.

The one time I rode it fit, I was going up most of the climbs at close to 20 mph so they clearly are not that tough really. Apart from that last climb which caught me out big-Styalee the first time I encountered it. I came off the descent leading to it in top gear and my legs seized up when I got round the bend and the road kicked up!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
it has about 3,000 ft of climbing over its 100 miles.

Yup, pan flat!

ColinJ

Manchester 100 profile:

Manchester-100-profile.GIF

If I bought a pan as flat as that, I'd take it back to Argos! :laugh:

PS That was my 15,000th post on CycleChat. Stay tuned for more b***ocks! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom