FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 1st June 2018.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Andrew, thinking of rocking up around 22.30/22.45 at Piccadilly after a ride from Warrington. I presume meet at the upstairs bar along from the lifts?

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Andrew, thinking of rocking up around 22.30/22.45 at Piccadilly after a ride from Warrington. I presume meet at the upstairs bar along from the lifts?

Yes, the upstairs bar at Piccadilly.
For those that don't know it, it's called "The Mayfield" and it's opposite and above WH Smith's at the main entrance/exit.

I'm not sure what time you're all arriving, but you may want to compare notes and arrange a get-together elsewhere; there are better places than The Mayfield to eat and drink.
I'll be rocking up at The Mayfield some time after 22.30 and I'll be leaving at 23.30 to go to Albert Square.

Domus

Guru
First night ride for me. Slightly anxious as regards clothing, don't want to carry too much but then again don't want to be underdressed.

Initial thoughts are bibshorts with Tracksters over the top, can then remove when sun comes up. S/S base layer and jersey with arm warmers with shower/wind proof jacket. As my shoes are very porous will wear overshoes ( I get cold feet) . Carry on rack warm gloves and jacket.

Any advice?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Forecast for Manchester, though it might be a tad cooler in the coutryside, is 16/17 Celsius with no wind. Bearing in mind the first half of the ride has hills, I reckon shorts and a couple of upper layers should be enough. Of course, clothing is not heavy so, if you have the means to carry them, I'd bring some extras.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !

Off the top of my head:- http://piccadillytap.com/
Just outside the station.

Or:- https://www.portstreetbeerhouse.co.uk/
A short ride from the station. Port Street has the advantage of outside seating and it's possible to lock your bike up where you can see it.

kimble

Veteran
First night ride for me. Slightly anxious as regards clothing, don't want to carry too much but then again don't want to be underdressed.

Any advice?

Unless you're a racing snake on a lightweight bike made of fairy farts, carrying some extra clothing (/food/tools/spares/etc) isn't going to slow you down. (Unless you don't have sensible luggage and poorly attached Stuff causes a mechanical.)

It's Manchester, so you can't ever really trust the weather forecast.

It's a FNRttC, so there's going to be some hanging around. (Unless you're consistently the slowest rider[1] and nobody has a mechanical.)

If things go wrong on any night ride, you're liable to do a *lot* of hanging around without shelter from the elements.

I consider a decent waterproof essential, just in case. I won't make specific recommendations, because I run hotter than most people. I'll be in 3/4s, jersey and base layer, with extra stuff in my bag just in case, which (weather permitting) I'll probably only use when we stop.

[1] Data point: I've doubled my year's mileage in the last month and I'm racing (ha!) on Sunday. I will be taking it easy on the climbs.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Initial thoughts are bibshorts with Tracksters over the top, can then remove when sun comes up. S/S base layer and jersey with arm warmers with shower/wind proof jacket. As my shoes are very porous will wear overshoes ( I get cold feet) . Carry on rack warm gloves and jacket.

Any advice?

The climb up the moors can be warm. The ride down from the moors can be chilly as it's a long freewheel. ^_^
Depends upon what you consider cold/cool. Metcheck for Blackburn (as a very rough half way point) here https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/no...=blackburn&locationID=57835&lat=53.8&lon=-2.5

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm probably going to go with bibs, baselayer, arm warmers, long sleeve top and Belgian bootie shoe covers plus mitts at the start.
In the bag I'll have leg-warmers, proper gloves, a thin, windproof jacket and a full fat waterproof.
I'm expecting to only use the windproof of the spare equipment but, as has already been said, it can get cold on 't moors.

I'd recommend shedding layers at either Tottington or Edgworth and replacing them before the descent to Blackburn and McDonald's.
You might also want to keep the extra layer on 'til we get to Ribchester and then take it off before the climb to Longridge.

In other news, the cafe are looking forward to seeing us and they'll put tables and chairs outside if the weather is good.
And it looks like it will be.

Domus

Guru
Well, what can I say. Cracking night out on the bike.
I was a little apprehensive about, the distance, riding in the dark, riding in a group, unknown people.
I needn't have worried, completed my longest ever ride of 148.24 Kms with a very nice bunch of people.
Andrew led the group over, a sometimes tricky route in the dark with generous catch up stops and a super venue for breakfast. Reserved tables on the pavement of a chic Café on the waterfront no less.
His greatest achievement though was to come. When all the glum faces looked at the departure boards at Blackpool North station. All we saw was row upon row of cancelled trains. Not known to panic, a quiet word in the right ear and "hey presto" an empty train appeared on Platform one. Bikes were loaded and almost immediately the train was off. I hope all got their connections on time and made it home safely

My first but hopefully not my last Fridays Ride.
Thanks to all for their company and help along the way. :notworthy:

Peter

Last edited:
Top Bottom