Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why not do the cheshire cycleway
http://www.cheshirecycleway.co.uk/
Still rubbish getting out of Manchester, but otherwise the route is good & well signed.

I think I am going to use that route from High Legh to Mickle Trafford (almost Chester). I can get a nice-ish route out of Manchester to High Legh and I'm sorted after Mickle Trafford so it's coming together

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Other than a 200m sharp climb just before you get to Llandudno (I seem to remember it being 10-12%) the route is flat from Manchester to Chester and then very flat after that
The sharp climb is in Llandulas , but only about 100 metres long. I think it is more than 12%. I do it frequently and always knackered when I reach the top, and that is on a 30/30 chairing! Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all on April 25th. Where is to be discussed nearer the date.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Assuming I actually make this ride, I may treat myself to an overnight stop at the local Travelodge, as it's walking distance to the station. Couldn't possibly travel after a meal of fish, chips and copious amounts of beer, could I?

If you get on at Llandudno JUNCTION, which is a couple of miles from the Travelodge, there are direct trains to London Euston. Get on at Llandudno and you've got to change

Actually you're making me think about having a proper session in Llandudno and stopping at the Travelodge too!

I think I am going to use that route from High Legh to Mickle Trafford (almost Chester). I can get a nice-ish route out of Manchester to High Legh and I'm sorted after Mickle Trafford so it's coming together

The odd time I do this, I generally join at Ashley (mile or so further on), but it really just depends on the "best" way out of Manchester.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The other climb Nickyboy mentions is indeed 10% , at the Little Orme, just as you get into Llandudno and about 300 metres long. I forgot about that one.

wanda2010

Guru
If you get on at Llandudno JUNCTION, which is a couple of miles from the Travelodge, there are direct trains to London Euston. Get on at Llandudno and you've got to change

Actually you're making me think about having a proper session in Llandudno and stopping at the Travelodge too!

As the Ride Leader I think it an entirely great move that you look after your group til the 'bitter' end :smile::thumbsup:

Maybe an easier start point would be Altrincham? Easy/regular trams/trains from central Manchester. Decent cafes to wait in. On the edge of the Cheshire cycleway.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I'll declare a strong expression of interest. How can I not, when you'll be going right past my door [1]? I've got a spare bedroom if anyone from the far flung reaches needs somewhere to crash on the Friday or Saturday. (N.B. Beer drinking will be mandatory [2])

[1] Well, give or take 16 miles or so
[2] Laphroaig is an acceptable substitute, providing you share it :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Maybe an easier start point would be Altrincham? Easy/regular trams/trains from central Manchester. Decent cafes to wait in. On the edge of the Cheshire cycleway.

It's a good call. What I will do is give an option to start from Manchester Piccadilly or pick up near Altrincham. I'll do the full ride from Piccadilly but I appreciate it is quite a long ride overall and some may prefer to miss out the first 10 miles or so (which are city cycling miles so not particularly nice).
People could arrive at Piccadilly and then tram it to Altrincham significantly faster than we would cycle it so it may be a good option for some who were worrying a bit about the mileage.
It's only a mile or two from Altrincham tram station to the full route so those taking this option would easily beat the "full route" cyclists

Last edited:
Top Bottom