Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Is this the inland type of route (it was posted earlier as an alternative but i cant find who posted it now)
upload_2015-11-14_10-13-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-14_10-11-55.png
    upload_2015-11-14_10-11-55.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 74

subaqua

What’s the point
you could ride up the old road into Hawarden from Queensferry , then up the hill into Buckley and through to Mold then up the A494 the opposite way to the tour of britain did. that is a tad hilly .

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is this the inland type of route (it was posted earlier as an alternative but i cant find who posted it now)
View attachment 109899

Something like that. Deffo off the A548 at Flint. The only question would be exactly where to rejoin the NCN5. You could rejoin at Prestatyn, just after Rhyl or as per the map you posted. As I mentioned, there was a bit of feeling that the stretch from Prestatyn to Rhyl wasn't nice. I tend to disagree. If you remember you go through Prestatyn Golf Club which was nice, the Talacre Caravan Park (ok not so nice) then by the sea to Rhyl

There are options, let's see what folk prefer. Whatever happens, it will be very similar mileage either A548 or the hilly route. The difference will be about 1000ft of climbing so folk can make their choice

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
In agree the seafront from Prestatyn to Rhyl was good, and as a positive on the drizzle and wind it kept all but the hardiest holidaymaker off the front and in their caravans, giving mile upon mile of open pedestrian free cycle path, so i wonder on a sunny day how many will be on that path, a good bell would be a must i think.

The coast road was better than I thought it would be. I liked the seafront but not the caravan park. It's a tricky conundrum with pluses and minuses either way. You could almost let the weather decide it. That and time as the front will probably be a quicker option if the ride is running late.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The coast road was better than I thought it would be. I liked the seafront but not the caravan park. It's a tricky conundrum with pluses and minuses either way. You could almost let the weather decide it. That and time as the front will probably be a quicker option if the ride is running late.

Agreed. It would be my intention to let individuals decide whether to do the hiller inland route or the flatter A548 route. Everyone ends up on the same coastal path eventually, just up to individuals whether they want the slower, prettier route or the flatter, uglier route to get there

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've ridden the hilly route in reverse. It's (IMO) truly awful; long draggy climbs and descents on which you need to brake most of the time. I hate using the brakes going downhill.
I didn't enjoy the flatter alternative (albeit we hit it in the worst of the weather) but I'd take it every time.

BTW:- I'm not complaining, I had a great day out and I'm very grateful to you for organising it nickyboy.
I'd be up for a repeat next year :okay:.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've ridden the hilly route in reverse. It's (IMO) truly awful; long draggy climbs and descents on which you need to brake most of the time. I hate using the brakes going downhill.
I didn't enjoy the flatter alternative (albeit we hit it in the worst of the weather) but I'd take it every time.

BTW:- I'm not complaining, I had a great day out and I'm very grateful to you for organising it nickyboy.
I'd be up for a repeat next year :okay:.

Being an eternal optimist perhaps doing it the other way converts the steep descents into short, steep climbs and the long draggy climbs into wonderful fast descents? Unfortunately there are only two options; the A548 or the hilly inland route. Both have drawbacks. I guess it will be up to each rider on the day to decide which suits best

Given that this thread has been resurrected from the dead (hallelujah!) I will kick off a 2016 thread soon.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Get in with a date Nick before people start filling in the 2016 calender with other half inspired immovable dates.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If my collar bone knits by December, I'll be having the new hip done pretty soon. Looks like this would be a good "back from the dead" target. ^_^

Top stuff!

As I mentioned upthread, I've navigated around the offending downhill for 2016. I wouldn't want to have to watch everyone zooming down and worrying they were going to "do a Cubist"

Top Bottom