Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm catching up on the Giro and just saw something which reminded me that I forgot to mention a very near miss yesterday ...

On the Giro stage, things were getting a bit lively in the build up to a sprint and riders were getting nudged off the road onto gravel at the side.

What happened to me was similar, though ride companion @tommaguzzi was not to blame for what happened. We were descending back towards the coast and I was chatting to him and looking at the scenic views down to the coast and out to sea. I forgot for a moment to watch where I was going. I drifted to the outside of a bend and when I looked back at the road I saw a long, deep gravel-strewn rut ahead of me which I was too late to avoid dropping into. I got a sickening feeling in my stomach and everything appeared to be happening in slow-motion as I anticipated the trauma which was about to unfold ... :eek:

Fortunately, I somehow managed to stay upright and ride back out of the rut but that was more due to luck than good judgement.

That's the nearest I have come to smashing myself up since being on warfarin. I try not to worry about the risks of uncontrolled bleeding in the event of an accident but that was a sobering reminder that I should avoid getting distracted on descents! :whistle:

As mentioned by Littgull above, alibaba had at least 2 failing-to-unclip falls on the ride and his confidence was shaken. Opinions seemed to be divided. Some were suggesting scrapping the clipless pedals and putting flat pedals on. Others, myself included, thought that the problem was due to a combination of excessive pedal release tension and a lack of unclipping practice.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Thanks @nickyboy for organising the day.
I had to bail out at Rhyl due to knee pain and the headwind so need to have another go to get a 100 miler in.
This did however mean I got to the Chippy in time for delicious cod and chips.
A trip back to collect the car from Llandudno Junction, a quick change of clothes and back in Macclesfield before 10 o'clock with @Happypigfour
Showered and changed we went to my local for a few beverages which resulted in @Happypigfour walking into our glass porch door when we go back home.

Great to meet everyone and puts faces to forum names.

si_c

Guru
Just like to add my thanks to @nickyboy for again running an excellent ride, was a really good ride, and many thanks to @Littgull for giving me some chain lube when my chain became unbearably squeaky following some torrential rain.

I didn't ride back in the end, which I'm now quite glad about, I got home around 23.30, and got an early night, and today am feeling great, plus having had a couple of beers I promptly fell asleep on the train from Llandudno to Chester!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Currently at Llandudno Junction station so I'll post something meaningful when I get home. In the meantime here are some photos
IMG_20170513_112034.jpg

IMG_20170513_153023.jpg

IMG_20170513_153029.jpg

IMG_20170513_153838.jpg

IMG_20170513_153914.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I still can't quite figure out why Wobble didn't disconnect his stuck front gear cable to allow his front mech to pull the chain down onto the little ring!

I'd have thought that the combination of the small ring a bit of cross-chaining to a smallish sprocket would still have been good for 20 mph. The only time we did much more than 20 mph was on the downhills when freewheeling would have been fine.

Then pull the mech over and reconnect the cable to hold the chain on the big ring for the wind-assisted ride home? :whistle:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
IMG_20170513_154404.jpg

IMG_20170513_153913.jpg

IMG_20170513_153921.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_153928.jpg
    IMG_20170513_153928.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Another successful trip, @nickyboy. Thanks again for organising. Lots of good chat during and after the ride - very enjoyable.

Had to take a screenshot of the Strava segment before everyone else gets home and loads their times up. I may never be number 1 again, so I'm making the most of it.

I suspect it's all good until @straas gets some internet.
I had a Garmin hiccup so may have lost most of the ride including the climb.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Another triumph of a day out .

Each time i have done this ride its easy to see the amount of work gone into the planning such an epic route and so a big thanks to Nick on that one.

With regards the hill climb Strava challenge, i have spent the night dwelling on how i was not first to the top as i followed si-c's training scheduled of "pies = watts" to the letter in a post ride training event, and so i have come to the conclusion doping was afoot, i have dismissed the outlandish belief that better diet , actual training and having some talent is the reason , that's all hog wash, its doping i tells ya.

Great to see old and new faces (old as in familiar, not haggard ,, ) and look forward to next year already.

Top Bottom