Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Time to kick off this year's thread methinks. I'll flesh it all out over the next week or so but the basic idea will follow what was a pretty successful formula over the past couple of editions. I'm running it a bit later than previous years as my regular slot has already gone to another ride and I don't want to create a clash. I'm also hoping that maybe mid May weather may be even better than last year's

1) 8am start Manchester Piccadilly railway station
2) Coffee/Snack stop Devonshire Bakery, Weaverham (I thought that this was better than the Country Park we went to in 2015 but happy to listen to other views on this)
3) Lunch stop Eureka café, Wirral
4) Finish in Llandudno sometime about 6pm depending on individual's speed, weather etc. Fish and Chips available

There will be official "start" and "finish" points at Manchester, Altrincham, Eureka and Llandudno so participants can mix and match to suit themselves. You don't have to do the whole ride if it doesn't suit

In fact, the last 30 miles or so are dotted with train stations so if you're a bit weary then it's very easy to pop on a train and beat the rush for fish and chips

I'll offer the flatter and hillier routes again. The flat one will be the same as last year. The hillier one I've been playing around with and I can make it rather less hilly in return for about another couple of miles on the A548 which I think is a reasonable trade off. I'll play around and recce the hillier option to see if I can come up with anything better

As previously, stop over in Llandudno for those that fancy it. Regular trains from nearby Llandudno Junction to all points of the compass.

For those that haven't done the ride before what you get is about 10 miles of urban/suburban flat cycling to Altrincham. Then you have about 40 miles of very pleasant country lanes through Cheshire which are rolling at absolute worst. After lunch if you take the flat route it's about 45 very flat miles with the final 20 or so right next to the sea. The hillier alternative is another 50 miles, also last 20 next to the sea but there is, as the name suggests, a hillier middle bit to get off a fairly busy A road

I will run an "Expressions of Interest" list in post#1 so anyone who maybe fancies it can be added there. I don't need a firm commitment until a couple of days before.

No insurance required. No kit stipulations (such as helmets). It's around 100 miles all in at a fairly gentle pace and in some lovely scenery and some nice stop offs along the way. Everyone and anyone (including friends of CCers) welcome

Confirmed
@Crackle +1 (from Eureka)
@straas (from Manchester)
@si_c (from Manchester)
@doughnut +1(from Manchester
@Moodyman (from Manchester)
@Buck +1 (from Manchester)
@mike3121 +1 (from Eureka)
@wanda2010 (from Manchester)
@Cupotea +1 (from Manchester)
@tommaguzzi (from Manchester)
@Kestevan (from Manchester)
@ColinJ (from Manchester)
@Leaway2 +2 (from Altrincham)
@alibaba (from Manchester)
@gavroche (from Rhyl)
@Freds Dad (from Manchester)
@McWobble (from Eureka)
@DiddlyDodds (from Manchester)
@Littgull (from Manchester)
@Happypigfour (from Manchester)
@theclaud (from Manchester)
@Rickshaw Phil (from Eureka)
@BRounsley +? (from Altrincham)

Expressions of Interest
@ozboz
@SpuddyJones

Out
@Bazzer
@odav
@wormo
@SteCenturion
@Grant Fondo
@Sam1992
@Jaykun85
@mythste

Ride Notes
See below

Route Files

Hillier
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Flatter
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

Glympse
http://glympse.com/!Llandudno2017

Attachments

• Llandudno Ride Notes Eureka - Llandudno Compressed.docx.pdf
    560.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Llandudno Ride Notes Manchester - Eureka Compressed.docx.pdf
    596 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
Put me down as expression of interest but it all depends on whether its my weekend to work.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Expression of interest here.
Saturday not the best day for me, although I fully understand why the run is on that day. I'll try to rearrange my normal commitments and get approval from Mrs B as there are a couple of the Fridays rides I'd like to do.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I'm also hoping that maybe mid May weather may be even better than last year's

Ha. Don't kid yourself that I've forgiven you for that sodding freezing headgalewind that greeted us all the way from Prestatyn. :smile:

I'll offer the flatter and hillier routes again. The flat one will be the same as last year. The hillier one I've been playing around with and I can make it rather less hilly in return for about another couple of miles on the A548 which I think is a reasonable trade off. I'll play around and recce the hillier option to see if I can come up with anything better

Through Flint and up to Pentre Halkyn? I'm not sure how easy it'll be to cross the A55 there. I've been meaning to take a look at that road, though usually I go through Northrop so as to get my hill fix. I'll wander along rhere the next time round those parts. (Flint and Connah's Quay - I get to see all the salubrious bits of North Wales, I do...)

Anyway, put me down as defniitely interested, thanks.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ha. Don't kid yourself that I've forgiven you for that sodding freezing headgalewind that greeted us all the way from Prestatyn. :smile:

Through Flint and up to Pentre Halkyn? I'm not sure how easy it'll be to cross the A55 there. I've been meaning to take a look at that road, though usually I go through Northrop so as to get my hill fix. I'll wander along rhere the next time round those parts. (Flint and Connah's Quay - I get to see all the salubrious bits of North Wales, I do...)

Anyway, put me down as defniitely interested, thanks.

Done a google maps recce and there's an underpass so it should work.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2...4!1spjhSA8Wh-eZeCKIu7mBYPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The downside is you have to do a couple of extra A548 miles to get to Flint. The upside is it reduces climbing by about 400ft as this is "up-down" as opposed to last year "up-down-up-down"

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sadly, I shall be at a friend's wedding in the Dordogne that weekend.
Really sorry to miss this.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sadly, I shall be at a friend's wedding in the Dordogne that weekend.
Really sorry to miss this.
TBH I've stuck the date out there...I'm flexible. I just wanted to avoid a clash with already announced rides

If a lot of stalwarts say no to May13 but yes to May 20 then I'll move it

However if it's just you then you'll have to slum it in France while we enjoy the North Wales Riviera

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Hi Nick

I'm a definite maybe on this one. Need to check the diary when home and I'll also see if my mate Gil wants to come along. (can't ask him now as he's currently on a cycling holiday in Tenerife - lucky sod!!)

Top Bottom