Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Expression of interest: Me and son2 from Eureka as per..... Is this date deffo?

doughnut

Veteran
I'm in again. Might be able to get Mrs doughnut to take bags in the car from Manchester through to Llandundo as before. After the Scarborough trip, she started talking about taking her bike and doing the last 15-20 miles along the prom - might have been the beer talking or a side effect of the kebab, but it could be for real.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'll stick an old turnip on my handlebars and paint a face on it and we can pretend.
As good as.

Time to kick off this year's thread methinks. I'll flesh it all out over the next week or so but the basic idea will follow what was a pretty successful formula over the past couple of editions. I'm running it a bit later than previous years as my regular slot has already gone to another ride and I don't want to create a clash. I'm also hoping that maybe mid May weather may be even better than last year's

1) 8am start Manchester Piccadilly railway station
2) Coffee/Snack stop Devonshire Bakery, Weaverham (I thought that this was better than the Country Park we went to in 2015 but happy to listen to other views on this)
3) Lunch stop Eureka café, Wirral
4) Finish in Llandudno sometime about 6pm depending on individual's speed, weather etc. Fish and Chips available

There will be official "start" and "finish" points at Manchester, Altrincham, Eureka and Llandudno so participants can mix and match to suit themselves. You don't have to do the whole ride if it doesn't suit

In fact, the last 30 miles or so are dotted with train stations so if you're a bit weary then it's very easy to pop on a train and beat the rush for fish and chips

I'll offer the flatter and hillier routes again. The flat one will be the same as last year. The hillier one I've been playing around with and I can make it rather less hilly in return for about another couple of miles on the A548 which I think is a reasonable trade off. I'll play around and recce the hillier option to see if I can come up with anything better

As previously, stop over in Llandudno for those that fancy it. Regular trains from nearby Llandudno Junction to all points of the compass.

For those that haven't done the ride before what you get is about 10 miles of urban/suburban flat cycling to Altrincham. Then you have about 40 miles of very pleasant country lanes through Cheshire which are rolling at absolute worst. After lunch if you take the flat route it's about 45 very flat miles with the final 20 or so right next to the sea. The hillier alternative is another 50 miles, also last 20 next to the sea but there is, as the name suggests, a hillier middle bit to get off a fairly busy A road

I will run an "Expressions of Interest" list in post#1 so anyone who maybe fancies it can be added there. I don't need a firm commitment until a couple of days before.

No insurance required. No kit stipulations (such as helmets). It's around 100 miles all in at a fairly gentle pace and in some lovely scenery and some nice stop offs along the way. Everyone and anyone (including friends of CCers) welcome

Expressions of Interest
@Freds Dad
@Kestevan
@Rickshaw Phil
@Bazzer
@straas
@McWobble
@Crackle +1
@doughnut +1
@wanda2010
@Buck +1
@gavroche
@wormo
@si_c
Can you post a route up?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Can you post a route up?

This is last year's flatter route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

The official 2017 flatter route isn't released yet but it is very likely to be the same as this

This is the proposed hillier route for 2017. It may need a little work on it but gives you a good idea

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Basically they're exactly the same except the Flatter option takes the A548 from Flint to Prestatyn whereas the Hillier option goes inland onto quieter but lumpier roads. There is one real climb from Flint to Pentre Halkyn which is 800ft over 4 miles. Once up there you roll along and then drop down back to the coast

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Hilly route looks good @nickyboy, I've done most of that route before and it's quite a good ride, not too hilly through flint, although I take a slightly different route into rhyl usually.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Happy new year Nicky. Yes I'm up for it again but it's too far off to commit. I hardly rode after Scarborough due to injury but my back finally recovered just before Christmas. so I am at zero (normal person) level at the moment.
But yes I am interested and will use this as a goal.
Thanks for organising everything again.

mike3121

Put me down as a maybe, I haven't been on my bike since Scarborough. As @doughnut knows had lots of work going on at my house when I got home from Scarborough, during October I had a drunken accident and damaged my arm, recoverd in time to go back to work the week before Christmas!
If I do this ride it will probably be from Eureka, or maybe join Mrs @doughnut for the last 15-20 miles

Top Bottom