Manchester - route from Didsbury to Oxford Rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Hi All

A friend is a cycling novice, and wants to start commuting from Didsbury to the university on Oxford Rd. He would rather avoid curry mile, so does anyone have some alternative route suggestions that are a bit quieter?

Thanks.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Alternative direct routes are Princess Parkway from West Didsbury or A34 from East Didsbury both mega busy :biggrin: Your friend could go down Heald Place to miss the Curry Mile but would be a detour. Same with upper Brook StreetAnson Rd and Whitworth LaneLadybarn Lane. You could miss a lot of Wilmslow Road but it would be a longer ride. Best to try a couple of routes on a Sunday. I think some of the guys on here commute that area so might have a better insite to avoid Rusholmequieter routes in more suitable for a novice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have got the A34 in - busy dual carriageway, but lots of room, or Parrs Wood Road - much quieter.

At the end of Parrs Wood Road, continue over and take second right (Royle St) at end turn left - this brings you to Mossley Road (behind Fallowfield's Sainsburys) - near UOM's Armitage Centre. You can continue across down the tar-maced path and follow the signs that take you round the back of MMU's Hollins (The Toast Rack) and Rusholme on quiet streets. This brings you out near Edinburgh Bike Co-op - Cross over and through the bike lane through Whitworth Park. - This is the recommended route for less experienced cyclists.

Or at the Armitage Centre, turn right up Mossley road, and re-join the A34 Anson Road into Manchester - bit busy at Levenshulme end, but plenty of room - for the more experienced.

I mainly do A34 - A34 or Parrs Wood Road then A34. I'm a route leader for the Bike To Work Days for the Unis/Hospitals - 1st Weds of each month and Bike to Work day on 16th June (for us).

If your friend is at Man Uni - check out their UMBUG site for routes. - Here:- The route your friend needs is the Cheadle/East Didsbury Route.

http://umbug.manchester.ac.uk/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS Avoid Rusholme - I do - the standard of general driving is poor - too many side roads and 'shops' that folk pull into and out of. You make far quicker progress on the alternative routes.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
fossyant said:
PS Avoid Rusholme - I do - the standard of general driving is poor - too many side roads and 'shops' that folk pull into and out of. You make far quicker progress on the alternative routes.

Amen! Wish I could. Got knocked of at the start of Rusholme last week by an un-insured driver. Also been knocked off in Didsbury before. I'd advise if possible, you avoid the built up area's such as

Didsbury: pot holes, busses, always wet road for some reason, and lots of side streets cars pull into/out of

Withington: same as didsbury, the road connecting withington to fallowfield is attrocious also, it you dont total on a pothole the general surface will shake your fillings out

Fallowfield: lots of people and buses and horrific road surface, huge mounds and ditches

Rusholme: full of poor driving, I am not convinced that the majority of the Rusholme demographic would/have pass(ed) a UK driving test, also the police are reluctant to target the area, due to the obvious. Despite a wall of evidence the police have still done absolutely nothing about me being hit by an un-insured driver, they have apparently posted me a self report kit, which I have not recieved, it was a week today since it happened.

If your friend is a cycling novice, then it would be worth building up to doing a good run on a sunday (30 miles or so) and then choosing a longer but safer route to commute. It might end up being about 10 miles each way (20 mile round trip). Its already about 6 mile taking a direct route I believe.

If all he/she wants to do is avoid rusholme, get onto upper brook street on the tesco/cheshire cat junction in fallowfield. Then run down upper brook street and then cut down the closest street to his/her uni building (probly the street where Roscoe building is situated). Upper brook street is much safer and also faster.

I'll do the cycle with him if he wants, but be warned I'm a girl on a Brompton.

Fossy - I'm thinking of joining the umbug ride - might see you then.

My route in in the morning goes though rusholme, which is fine (it's not yet awake!) if you're OK with the busses. Coming home I do the off-road (partly) route that Fossy suggests as Rusholme at night - or even in the afternoon - is complete madness.

OP
OP
U

User482

Thanks very much, I'll pass the information on. Hopefully we'll have a new convert!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
All being well, I'm doing the UMBUG route on the 16th too, on the Brompton, possibly wearing shirt & tie (still wondering whether that's a good idea for 8-12 miles...)

Top Bottom