Manchester safehouse. Parking and riding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Livestronger

Hi guys,

I currently travel from Preston to Manchester to work usually via the M61/M60 sometimes A580. I am looking to find a safe place to park on the way and ride the rest of the way in. The distance is 35 miles or there about so I can split it and look to ride longer in the warmer months.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a safe place to park? I have looked at the park and ride options but I am unsure as to how accessible they are and what the rules are on using them for riding in?

Thanks for your help in advance.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
As @Pale Rider mentioned regarding York:
There is a Park and Pedal service which allows you to park for free and make your onward journey by bike.
http://www.itravelyork.info/park-and-ride/cycling-with-park-and-ride
York encourage this. Perhaps Manchester too?
Why not get in touch with Chris Boardman as Cycling and Walking Commissioner; maybe the Cycling and Walking Forum might be able to advise?

Hicky

Guru
I'd look for somewhere that has a train station close to where you'll park then should there be a need you are less limited.
What sort of riding? Road, canal/gravel path?

OP
OP
L

Livestronger

Thanks guys for the suggestions and comments.

I think to get me out of Manchester is about 10-15 miles but I would go further in the warmer months. I'm convinced it would be quicker on the bike anyway! Having done the whole thing in the past, it doesn't give me much left to do the day job after 40 miles in the morning and the prospect of the same in the evening.

Typically I am looking at riding on the roads although I am open to any routes as long as its not too off roady.
I too have looked at the park and ride options and to me it looks as though you need a bus ticket to use their facilities. You would have thought this kind of thing would be rolled out to other alterative forms of travel if it means lowering the traffic and carbon brought into the city?
I know that the Toby carvery is used by some near Walkden but just don't like the risk of leaving my vehicle open to abuse.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was going to suggest the Irwell Valley area for the cycle path into Salford but that's probably too far east for you to park.

jpj84

Veteran
I occasionally ride into the city centre from Horwich, but it's a pretty grim experience - bomb along the A6 trying not to get killed, and then having to negotiate Salford once you're inside the ring road. For all the talk of beelines and so on, it's an atrocious ride into the city from our direction.

So, I'd consider doing the commute the other way round - ride to a railway station within Greater Manchester (Blackrod is the first such, Horwich Parkway has more frequent trains and better bike parking), then you get a cheaper ticket, and don't have to negotiate getting into town.

Caveat - I have no idea what the ride to/from Preston would be like, and don't know how advisable public transport is currently, but maybe consider in future...

straas

Matt
I don't really know that side of manchester - I wouldn't worry about a park and ride though. A normal residential street should be fine.

OP
OP
L

Livestronger

I occasionally ride into the city centre from Horwich, but it's a pretty grim experience - bomb along the A6 trying not to get killed, and then having to negotiate Salford once you're inside the ring road. For all the talk of beelines and so on, it's an atrocious ride into the city from our direction.

So, I'd consider doing the commute the other way round - ride to a railway station within Greater Manchester (Blackrod is the first such, Horwich Parkway has more frequent trains and better bike parking), then you get a cheaper ticket, and don't have to negotiate getting into town.

Caveat - I have no idea what the ride to/from Preston would be like, and don't know how advisable public transport is currently, but maybe consider in future...
Thanks for this advice. I will look into riding to a station and doing it that way, my only concern is the reliability issues of the the trains. I travel from Leyland so it might be an nice route up the A6 until I find a suitable change over.

OP
OP
L

Livestronger

I was going to suggest the Irwell Valley area for the cycle path into Salford but that's probably too far east for you to park.
I head to the East of Manchester and can be strategic on where I leave my vehicle around the M60. I don't mind it taking longer if the overall experience is a more pleasurable one combined with some miles in the legs.

Top Bottom