Manchester to Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
I have never entered any kind of organised sporting event but my eye was caught by this cycle ride which is on Sunday 30th May. It is only 38 miles and as it goes towards the coast it may be downhill! I have only done 30 miles before and I am hill-phobic.

I was wondering if any CCers have had any experience of this ride and if it would be suitable for a noob with not a huge amount of miles under her belt.

PaulB

Legendary Member
BearPear said:
I have never entered any kind of organised sporting event but my eye was caught by this cycle ride which is on Sunday 30th May. It is only 38 miles and as it goes towards the coast it may be downhill! I have only done 30 miles before and I am hill-phobic.

I was wondering if any CCers have had any experience of this ride and if it would be suitable for a noob with not a huge amount of miles under her belt.

Yep, I dun it once! Nice route, easy to do, plenty of off road stuff (so ride your MTB NOT your roadie) and quite interesting. My only gripe is the organiser who are out to make the most money with the least outlay. You'll get nowt off them at the finish so my advice is to 86 the fee, join in on the other side of the canal (around about the war museum - an added advantage is that then you won't have to look at Old Rattford and risk rising bile in your guts) and ride from there onwards.

Fiona N

Veteran
PaulB said:
Y... My only gripe is the organiser who are out to make the most money with the least outlay. You'll get nowt off them at the finish so my advice is to 86 the fee, join in on the other side of the canal ...

Oh come on - it's to raise money for charity (NSPCC, as far as I understand)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think some people have a gripe with it because the entry fee is for the organiser and it merely encourages you to get sponsorship for the nominated charity. Personally I don't have a problem with it if the organisation they offer is up to scratch. I will be entering the Manchester to Blackpool and getting sponsors with proceeds going to Christies who treated my Mum and other people I know.

potsy

Rambler
I looked at doing the Liverpool ride as a warm up to the Blackpool one but am not bothering now,the off road sections have put me off a bit.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fiona N said:
Oh come on - it's to raise money for charity (NSPCC, as far as I understand)

Well, it's not. Check the details closely and you'll discover the organisers pay NOTHING to any registered charity. They do invite you to do so, though, but all the money paid to the organisers...stays with the organisers. They're operating a SUGging scam.

Fiona N

Veteran
PaulB said:
Well, it's not. Check the details closely and you'll discover the organisers pay NOTHING to any registered charity. They do invite you to do so, though, but all the money paid to the organisers...stays with the organisers. They're operating a SUGging scam.

Abject apologies PaulB ;) I fell for their marketing scam :biggrin: I will look a bit more carefully in future.
Like people have said elsewhere, I don't like the idea of paying to ride on public roads, so the organisers need to be offering either good organisation and support or making money for charity (or bike organisations/clubs), otherwise they really are just rip-offs.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fiona N said:
Abject apologies PaulB :wacko: I fell for their marketing scam :smile: I will look a bit more carefully in future.
Like people have said elsewhere, I don't like the idea of paying to ride on public roads, so the organisers need to be offering either good organisation and support or making money for charity (or bike organisations/clubs), otherwise they really are just rip-offs.

They really are a rip off. I was taken in by the hype this company uses and entered that particular event about 5-6 years ago and was thoroughly disappointed with the lack of care, organisation and benefits for the money we paid. They make you THINK the money is going to charity but none of it is apart from what you raise yourself.

Top Bottom