Mantova drug investigations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BJH

Über Member
Amazing that a certain tennis player hits the ball apparently like no other before. I find the whole of that country's sporting credentials very peculiar.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What I'd love to see on tomorrow's stage is Froome making some public gesture to Cunego in homage to Armstrong/Simeoni. It would be a powerful statement.

Or Kittel having words with Cunego. That would be fun.

Noodley

Kittel to square up to Cunego in Dolph Lundgren style and twat him, shouting "'av it!" (although I dinnae think Dolph ever shouted that)

400bhp

Guru
The peanut should be immediately suspended by Lampre, which would mean him not finishing the tour.

A kind of gesture that would be interesting if they simply didn't ride within, say 6 feel of him, so it would look like he stinks or sommat.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The peanut should be immediately suspended by Lampre, which would mean him not finishing the tour.

A kind of gesture that would be interesting if they simply didn't ride within, say 6 feel of him, so it would look like he stinks or sommat.

Was a bit disappointed to see Froome accepting his handshake just now.

Lampre have some brassneck even naming him in their team in the first place. At least BMC left Ballan at home.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Jensie d'yer think?

I've always had a wry smile to myself about the difference in response to Voigt and Cunego. I'm very disappointed to see Cunego implicated in this investigation, but I still like him. I like his inconsistencies and his failures as much as his occasional successes. I like his style. Yet Voigt, for all that we know with as much if not more certainly than Cunego, that he has been involved in doping, is presented as the face of real cycling, the fans' favourite. He has even effectively branded himself as such. And I mean, sure, who doesn't love it when he goes on one of these 100km solo attacks? But if that's believable and admirable and Cunego's struggles are less so, then we're fooling ourselves. Cunego is as much or as little of 'the real deal' as Voigt.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I mean, sure, who doesn't love it when he goes on one of these 100km solo attacks?

Not as much as I used to. I mean, partly because I've had my illusions about cycling shattered in recent years, but also partly because it starts to get a bit embarrassing when a 41-year-old is pulling this shoot. It's not endearing, it's taking the piss. And his statements on doping have always been a bit mealy-mouthed.

I half wondered if his kamikaze move on Saturday was his Landis moment. He's been talking about not being around next year but not actually saying he'll retire. Maybe he knows something about his immediate future...

400bhp

Guru
I've always had a wry smile to myself about the difference in response to Voigt and Cunego. I'm very disappointed to see Cunego implicated in this investigation, but I still like him. I like his inconsistencies and his failures as much as his occasional successes. I like his style. Yet Voigt, for all that we know with as much if not more certainly than Cunego, that he has been involved in doping, is presented as the face of real cycling, the fans' favourite. He has even effectively branded himself as such. And I mean, sure, who doesn't love it when he goes on one of these 100km solo attacks? But if that's believable and admirable and Cunego's struggles are less so, then we're fooling ourselves. Cunego is as much or as little of 'the real deal' as Voigt.

There's a fairly good interview with Voigt on this month's Cycling Plus. Comes across as genuine on his position i.r.o doping.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Someone may remember better than I, that Cunego tantamount admitted to having doped and was dismissive of the 2 paced peloton. He has probably been clean, and hence not as good, since those days. Mantova may be his come-uppance.

Top Bottom