Mantova drug investigations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
"@DanielCoyle: Rule 1: Nice guys dope too."
I saw a Travel section feature on holidays in the USA in Saturday's Guardian which included an interview with Tyler Hamilton about cycling around Boulder, Colorado. The shot they used was of him in his Phonak kit and bike, short-hair and gazing wistfully over the mountains. Very nostalgic!!!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/jul/20/tyler-hamilton-cycling-boulder-Colorado
That wasn't the shot they used but you get the picture!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[Voigt's] statements on doping have always been a bit mealy-mouthed.

I retract this. He has been a bit mealy-mouthed on occasion, but "always" is just plain wrong - this is pretty unequivocal:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/hardlyserious/2012/10/30/turbulent-times/

I've been suspicious of him for the simple reason that if he really didn't know or even suspect it was going on around him as he claims (ie Basso) then he must be incredibly naive. But maybe that's all it is - maybe his world view is as simplistic and his nature as trusting as it appears.

Sorry, Jens.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I retract this. He has been a bit mealy-mouthed on occasion, but "always" is just plain wrong - this is pretty unequivocal:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/hardlyserious/2012/10/30/turbulent-times/

I've been suspicious of him for the simple reason that if he really didn't know or even suspect it was going on around him as he claims (ie Basso) then he must be incredibly naive. But maybe that's all it is - maybe his world view is as simplistic and his nature as trusting as it appears.

Sorry, Jens.
Terrific article and utterly convincing. Cheers for that Smutch.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Terrific article and utterly convincing. Cheers for that Smutch.

Really? The East German track program, along with all DDR sports programs, was utterly riddled with doping. I stopped believing the article the moment he claimed there was no dope there. I am not certain Jens Voigt doped, although I certainly have my suspicions, but I know better than to believe the apparently sincere personal stories of top athletes on their own. We've heard them all before and we will hear them countless times again.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
On the one hand, overwhelming circumstantial evidence of his background and professional associations.

On the other hand, he's a lovely bloke and states unequivocally that he didn't dope.

Take your pick.

thom

____
On the one hand, overwhelming circumstantial evidence of his background and professional associations.

On the other hand, he's a lovely bloke and states unequivocally that he didn't dope.

Take your pick.

Witch is your choice ?

(see what I did there...? :tongue: )

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Really? The East German track program, along with all DDR sports programs, was utterly riddled with doping. I stopped believing the article the moment he claimed there was no dope there. I am not certain Jens Voigt doped, although I certainly have my suspicions, but I know better than to believe the apparently sincere personal stories of top athletes on their own. We've heard them all before and we will hear them countless times again.
Maybe you're right, I'm not usually naive!
I just have a gut feeling that when someone denies it categorically, in a certain way, it rings true. It was much the same with Wiggins and the opprobrium he would face if he was ever found to have doped. That part of the article rang true in Voigt's article too. His blog would have been totally unnecessary if he was a secret doper and he could just have issued the usual denial. The detail convinced me otherwise it's verging on the psychopathic to invent all that.
He was also under 18 and it's possible that towards the end of the East German state it was winding down the programme or not doing it to kids, although I have no evidence to support that. If he had doped naively as a teen under their programme, I'd cut him slack anyway.
He may get fingered at some point and make a mug of me though, I confess.
Incidentally, has anyone ever voiced suspicions apart from the internet scandalmongers?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looks like Ballan is finally going to get his just desserts at last. These Italian investigations do take their time!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coni-prosecutor-asks-for-two-year-ban-for-ballan

Top Bottom