Many many thanks..............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazzaputt

........ to about the 2 dozen cyclists who went past me in Peckham High St. this morning without bothering to ask if I required any help. To those I tried to flag down an even bigger thank you for stopping.

Got a puncture but today was on my 'best/summer' bike as the 'commuter/winter' broke at the weekend.

I'm running Michelin Pros which do have some puncture protection but they succumbed this morning.

Bastard was that the tyre lever on the Park mutli tool might as well been made of sodding cheese and I couldn't get the tyre off.

4 mile walk in road shoes back to the train station. :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

nae luck

Thats pretty poor. I have stopped on a few occasions to help. I'd like to think others would do the same for me.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I usually get a cyclist stopping to ask me if I need help, so I reckon gazza was unlucky there. I normally stop myself if I see someone in trouble, but then again maybe he was lucky I wasn't riding past him this morning!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
BentMikey said:
I normally stop myself if I see someone in trouble...

Likewise, unless I'm later than usual and under strictest instructions to be home on time from SWMBO. No one stopped when I had a flat on my way to the station on Friday last, but I think that had to do with the fact that I was already pumping up a replaced tube/tyre/wheel combo when a cyclist did appear on the horizon...

Tynan

Veteran
not being arsey but not being prepared for a puncture is poor

I'd have stopped if I'd have realised someone wanted help

Not that I was going down Peckham High St mind

That'as Sarf London for you, shitehawks and scummers to a man

OP
OP
gazzaputt

gazzaputt

Tynan said:
not being arsey but not being prepared for a puncture is poor

I was prepared,patches, spare tube, multi tool and pump just the sodding tyre lever on the multi was shite.

I always offer help to other regardless but what got me was the 3 or 4 riding past who ignored me!!

Maz

Guru
Not one of them had some tyre levers you could borrow?
Bad luck there, gazza. Feel sorry for you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know that I'd EXPECT anyone to stop and offer me help. Yes, it would be nice, but how many motorists expect other motorists to stop and offer help in a breakdown? And as a lone and moderately feeble female, I'd have to be wary of anyone who stopped - sad, but true. And the same if I was the one passing by....

Not to mention the time you offer help and get told to F*** off....

Moral of the story seems to be, test all the tools on a multitool before you have to rely on them...:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
I would not generally stop and nor would I expect anyone to stop for me. I don't carry a repair kit anyway most of the time, if I get a puncture I am walking or continuing on the flat tyre.

If a bloke was quite obviously in need of assistance and I had the tools I might, but I wouldn't as a matter of course. It seems more like a quaint rural/northern thing to do imo.

snorri

Legendary Member
gazzaputt said:
........ to about the 2 dozen cyclists who went past me in Peckham High St. this morning without bothering to ask if I required any help. To those I tried to flag down an even bigger thank you for stopping.

Certainly wouldn't happen where I live, I'd have starved to death before 2 dozen cyclists passed.:smile:

Maz

Guru
A few weeks back, I saw a fella with his bike upturned on the side of the rd repairing a puncture. I stopped to see if he needed any help. He said "no, I'm nearly done, actually, but thanks very much for asking", so I left him to it.
Made me feel better anyway.

There used to be a guy on a Trek MTB on my commute who used to really hack me off, jumping up onto the pavement to pass me while sitting at lights, that type of thing. Anyhoo one day I spotted him further ahead at the side of the road with a broken chain. Me being organised I had a chain tool in my bag. I slowed down and almost stopped to help him, but thought screw it and cycled past. You see, RLJing and pavement cycling don't pay off!!!!!!

Top Bottom