Map my fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robz400

Maybe a stupid question:-

When you show the elevation after planning a route does the ascent figure give you the total ascent including all the ups and downs?

Thanks

OP
OP
R

robz400

so say you climb 100ft then drop 50ft then back up to 100ft, would it count that as 100ft climb or 150ft????????

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
robz400 said:
Maybe a stupid question:-

When you show the elevation after planning a route does the ascent figure give you the total ascent including all the ups and downs?

Thanks

Total ascent is the total of the ups.

The downs are called descents :blush:

OP
OP
R

robz400

Total ascent is the total of the ups.

The downs are called descents :blush:

Yeah ok maybe i didn't word that quite right :biggrin:

When people talk about doing 60 miles with 6000ft of climbing that sounds pretty hard, I did 29 miles today, with what i think was 850ft of climbing and it nearly killed me. I was hoping that someone would say i'm calculating wrong and im doing more climbing than i think! Or am i just feeble :smile:

RedBike

Sorry but it sounds like you are calculating it correctly.

However, you might be pleased to know that most of the online mapping sites i've tried seem to significantly under-estimate the total assent (assuming my Garmins right!). Espeshially if there are lots of short steep climbs.

RedBike

I've just realised 850ft is approximately 250 meters. Thats nothing over 30miles. I went for a short jog (5km) this morning and covered 200m of assent!

Maybe something is wrong??

trio25

Über Member
map my ride under-estimates. It only counts if there is a difference in 60m of something, so any short hills, round me there are loads are not counted!

Although 200m over a 5km run must be a ver hilly run!

Map My Run needs (I think) 80' of height change for it to register - this is so that it doesn't include anomalous spikes on its geo-spatial data. You can download the csv data, put it into a spreadsheet and get a more detailed estimate of total height gain.