Map oddities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Probably started out as a farm named to celebrate the Battle of Oudenarde. We have a farm and area round here called Gibraltar that was named to celebrate it becoming 'ours' after a similar victory in the 1704 War of Spanish Succession.

Interesting, just googled the date, 1708, just the year after the highly unpopular Act of Union. I wonder how the locals felt about such celebration.

Willd

Veteran
Been to Scotland twice
1699000737057.png

1699000797250.png

and Hollywood :smile:

1699000911855.png

steverob

Guru
We have a farm and area round here called Gibraltar that was named to celebrate it becoming 'ours' after a similar victory in the 1704 War of Spanish Succession.
There's a hamlet (literally four houses and a farm) near me called Gibraltar as well.

I only found out about that when I was looking up online where the nearest branch of a particular retailer was and it said there was one just a few miles down the road in what looked like open countryside, while the rest of their branches were in major cities. Turns out their mapping software had confused the Gibraltar bordering Spain with the one in Buckinghamshire!

Willd

Veteran
Who knows what goes on, on this hill at night

View attachment 712289
or here

1699008091992.png

1699008209250.png

Top Bottom