Map oddities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Probably started out as a farm named to celebrate the Battle of Oudenarde. We have a farm and area round here called Gibraltar that was named to celebrate it becoming 'ours' after a similar victory in the 1704 War of Spanish Succession.

My wife has just reminded me of another battle commemoration, Waterloo just north of Perth. We always enjoy the Abba vibe when we pass through it ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not as such. There’s quite a few local references to Egypt (gypsies) and I know of Californias in Falkirk and I think Birmingham.

Can I add the Norfolk California (just north of Great Yarmouth) to your California collection?
1699017335678.png

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
When American friends come and visit, they are rather puzzled by our local Black Dyke Road.
I tell them we often name roads in honour of various groups or individuals: Alan Turing Way, Princes Road, Mongomery Road, Nelson Mandela Ave, etc.
They just nod and add it to the long list of things they don't 'get' about the UK.

1699094046353.png

DRM

Guru
When American friends come and visit, they are rather puzzled by our local Black Dyke Road.
I tell them we often name roads in honour of various groups or individuals: Alan Turing Way, Princes Road, Mongomery Road, Nelson Mandela Ave, etc.
They just nod and add it to the long list of things they don't 'get' about the UK.

View attachment 712457

Don't tell them that in West Yorkshire there's the Black Dyke Mills Band, it'll blow their minds totally

Top Bottom