Mapping a Tour d'Brent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
A great philosopher once said:
"My world does not end with these four walls. Slough’s a big place. When I’ve finished with Slough, there’s Reading, Aldershot, Bracknell. Didcot, Yateley. You know. Winnersh. Taplow. Because I am my own boss. Burghfield."

As a fan of The Office, and someone who is a bit bored and looking for a goal, I want to train for a one day ride (probably 100m when done). To that end, I am trying to map out a route taking in all of these places and then returning me home to Basingstoke. As I'm not really familiar with the area outside of Basingstoke, I was wondering if any CC'ers can give this a look to see if there's any pitfalls? I've used ridewithgps, and have tried streetview to check it out but there's the odd pathway here or there that I can't decipher if it's unsuitable for a road bike or not.

As a bit of a slow boy (13-15mph) I'd rather avoid the busier A roads wherever possible (short stints as a transition is fine, but not 5 miles at a time). Also with COVID restrictions in mind, I'd like to be able to stop every 25m or so for water. Ideally a cycle friendly cafe that can dispense some tap water and coffee.

I'm not set on going into the centres of each place, so have tried to pin down gps locations of 'welcome to xxxx' signs etc.

The route I've got is here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33783133

Thanks in advance!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not everybody is so keen on the area :smile:

Don't know the area but https://cycle.travel/map is an excellent planner for quieter roads, avoiding town centres and minimising climbing.
Adding waypoints is easy to customise the auto generated route and links to Streetview make it easy to see the roads as they actually are (or were when recorded!).

It also has a nifty circular route function - specify your distance and choose one of the options.

RideWithGPS allows you to search other's routes - sometimes that can be handy for discovering some local knowledge.

Good luck!

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Urgh just seen another of RWPGS foibles that it likes to use pathways and alleyways, so whenever I hit a town, it's often got me rummaging through someone's bins.

Top Bottom