Maps - unusual requests?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Speicher said:
I will be visiting Upton on Severn tomorrow or Friday. I am taking the opportunity to do so, while it is On Severn, instead of In Severn.:becool:

There is a shop there that sells maps and is called The Map Shop :ohmy::wacko:.

I know that shop! It's the best map shop ever! In all seriousness, if anyone has any map requests I'd recommend you take advantage of Speicher's offer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A full set of waterproof UK maps for reading in the bath?

On a more serious note some of the loveliest maps I own are the old 1:100,000 IGN series of the French Alps. Quite beautiful, very decorative and available through the IGN website.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've often thought about taking a room in the house and doing this: at the most obvious place to look (e.g. opposite the door, eye-level) you put OS map of where you live. Rest of walls and ceilings are "wallpapered" in adjoining OS maps. Might get a bit messy including ceiling, actually, so just walls. Would be quite enjoyable way to plan cycling routes! :becool:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Good idea.

The smallest room would be ideal. The "You Are Here" spot would have to be dead ahead of the lavatory pan, at seated eye level. A pencil could be provided for visitors to mark suggested routes. Or their houses.

Provided your smallest room is actually small enough to reach the walls without standing up...

longers

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
I've often thought about taking a room in the house and doing this: at the most obvious place to look (e.g. opposite the door, eye-level) you put OS map of where you live. Rest of walls and ceilings are "wallpapered" in adjoining OS maps. Might get a bit messy including ceiling, actually, so just walls. Would be quite enjoyable way to plan cycling routes! :wacko:

A good idea indeed. Thought about doing it myself too. I saw a gents in a bar in Barcelona which was done out in sea charts.

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh, lord, maps, there's a good way to lose several hours...

I like looking at the really old ones, where the countries aren't quite the same shape, and little places that barely exist now are huge because theyhad a big monastery, whereas places like Birmingham are tiny...

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Chuffy said:
With measles....:wacko:;)

I want a map of the west country. 1:1 scale please. Failing that I want an entire set of Landranger 1:50000 maps set out under perspex in a suitably large building.*
really. I do.

May I ask why, what's the new job that you will be doing?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd like a 1:100 scale map of Pinnawala, Sri Lanka, where the elephant orphanage is. Complete with all inhabitants - human and animal.
And a magnifying glass.
The prospect of Archs' little face at seeing teeny weeny elephants the size of mice makes me go all gooey.

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
I'd like a 1:100 scale map of Pinnawala, Sri Lanka, where the elephant orphanage is. Complete with all inhabitants - human and animal.
And a magnifying glass.
The prospect of Archs' little face at seeing teeny weeny elephants the size of mice makes me go all gooey.

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Cute!:blush:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
There's a lot of ornitholgists who would like a map showing them where some of the more obscure warblers go in the winter. They disappear into Africa somewhere; nobody knows where.

Oh, hang on, they don't want that map. If they had one, they wouldn't be forced to head south in winter themselves to try to find out. All that winter sunshine and birdwatching... Such a bind.

Top Bottom