Marathon Plus meets its match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Had similar in a new (to me) car a few years ago. Collected it during the day and decided that wifey and me would go out for tea in said new vehicle that evening. As I turned into the car park at the eatery I heard a psssshtick, psssshtick, psssshtick as the wheel revolved. Parked up and got out to investigate only to find a stanley knife blade properly embedded in the tyre. Due to the length of the cut the tyre was scrap which was particularly galling as it was the best one on the car and looked as though it had done less than 1000 miles :sad: That was a rear tyre too, I think the rear gets it more often as the front disturbs the object that then stands up ready to be hit by the full force of the rear wheel?

markharry66

Über Member
Good ol carpet fitters for you

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Is it the blade or has the tyre structure failed? Are your brake blocks correctly aligned, might anything else have rubbed?

I've had a Marathon blow in a similar way due to my own stupidity/brutality resorting to tyre levers when thumbs weren't up to job. II

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Yes, tell 'em you are really disappointed with the puncture protection.:blink:^_^
It would be fun trying to write a complaint about being sad that their "puncture resistant" tyre appears to offer inadequate protection when riding over razor blades. :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

caesar

Is it the blade or has the tyre structure failed? Are your brake blocks correctly aligned, might anything else have rubbed?

I've had a Marathon blow in a similar way due to my own stupidity/brutality resorting to tyre levers when thumbs weren't up to job. II

Pretty clean cut, down to where the rim would have stopped the blade:

ezk1md.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That dirty rim just screams 'utility cyclist!' :thumbsup:

Please don't clean it...

OP
OP
C

caesar

That dirty rim just screams 'utility cyclist!' :thumbsup:

Please don't clean it...

No need to worry. It was bad enough with just the London soot every day but now my route includes a stretch of double track and a farmyard, keeping it clean would be Sisyphean.

Top Bottom