Marathon + Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Afternoon all
I have picked up a nasty piece of glass which has gone through my 500 mile M+ Tyre.

Will the tyre still be ok to use after taking out the glass or shall I replace the tyre and tube ??

If the tyre wasn't just a few months old I would replace it too (Last one lasted 4 years)

Thanks

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Keep it for now, if you keep getting punctures then change it.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Dry the cut and fill with superglue, been doing this for years and it works great as long as the cut is not too big.

Second the superglue,works a treat for small cuts in tyres

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Hi well took the tyre off and the glass fragment hadn't seemed to have gone through.
However within the tyre I found a small metal swarfega type thing.

The tube puncture was near the valve where as the glass fragment was on the other side of the tyre.

Had a good look and feel of the tyre and looks like nothing has gone through. Replaced the tube and inflated it so seems all ok

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
I would of never of thought of putting a patch on the inside of the tyre. this could be really helpful with a couple of repairs I did that kept failing because of the inside of the tyre. also very helpful with my partners town bike as the tyre has punctured in pretty much the same place twice now so that would fix it and stop it happening again! :biggrin: I think the superglue and a patch would work a treat to fix it and if it doesn't work then replace it :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would of never of thought of putting a patch on the inside of the tyre. this could be really helpful with a couple of repairs I did that kept failing because of the inside of the tyre. also very helpful with my partners town bike as the tyre has punctured in pretty much the same place twice now so that would fix it and stop it happening again! :biggrin: I think the superglue and a patch would work a treat to fix it and if it doesn't work then replace it :smile:
The rear Marathon on my Ridgeback has done over a couple of thousand miles with a patch on the inside of the tyre after a shard of glass cut through but it is only a 4-5 mm cut, any bigger and I would have scrapped it.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Puncture kits in the good old days used to supply a tyre patch which was like a piece of rubberised fabric which was slightly sticky on the rubberised side. I have no idea why they no longer put these in kits.
Many people recommend the superglue tip - but I have actually seen this cause a puncture where it was used to fill a small gash in a tyre. Superglue dries hard, so it can be pushed into the tyre as the tyre rotates.
My preferred choice is a product called Stormsure - divers use it on their wetsuits, so if they trust it, I think I can. To use it, the area being repaired needs to be thoroughly clean and the repair once made, needs to be left at least 24 hours (I always leave it for at least 48)

Last edited:

vorsprung

Veteran
If the tyre has only done 500 miles then it is barely worn in

did the glass go through the sidewall, the shoulder or the tread of the tyre?

sidewall you are screwed bin the tyre

shoulder or tread probably ok, gum it up with something

On an M+ there is a puncture belt about 1/4" thick under the tread and most of the shoulder. Even if the casing is badly damaged it doesn't really matter

Top Bottom