March 2010 FNRttC - sounding out the regulars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
.....not all of whom post here, but I can do the rounds by e-mail.

Some of you will know the March 2010 FNRttC might be a charity ride for Martlets Hospice, Hove. Here's their website http://www.themartlets.org.uk/ You'll se that they have some related experience - their nighttime walk brought 1300 women out on to the downs and raised the whopping sum of £163,000. http://www.themartlets.org.uk/martlets_news/news_detail.php?ID=5031 Their ambitions don't stop with the March FNRttC - for them this is their first toe in the water.

The way it might work is this....

- Martlets would be able to send fifty riders, although they would all be registered by me, and all have to go through the same pernickity 'have you read the basics routine' that everybody else is subjected to.
- Those with any doubts about their bike would be recommended to an LBS in Brighton who might offer them a discount on servicing.
- Martlets would supply a 'sag wagon' and would hire the Scout Hall, and deal with the catering - thus freeing Tourist Tony up for the ride, if he were available that night.

The ride would differ from the normal run to Brighton.

- it would be a CTC 'event'. Every rider would have to sign the standard CTC disclaimer. I may have to take addresses.
- fifty newcomers would take some steering through South London, and I imagine that progress would be slower than any other ride we've done. The chances of mechanicals would increase, although anything more complex than a puncture or screw adjustment to a rack or the like would be plopped in the sag wagon.
- given that we might expect sixty riders in March there would be less room for new riders coming from other directions. A ride of (say) 110 to 120 is about the maximum I can foresee handling, given the weather risk in March
- the TECs and wayfinders would have a less carefree night. Rob Fuller of CTC World HQ has offered to TEC, and I'm going to take him up on the offer - but, given the May ride was only 94 strong and we had 16 people TEC in relays and another seven wayfinding (and we were indebted to Matthew for chasing down some very lost sheep) we'd be looking for the same sort of number

The FNRttC is a voluntary effort - lots of people come along and do stuff to help the thing on its way. I can imagine that some people might think - 'hang on, this might be less fun'. Others might think 'this is a good cause and I'm happy to help'.

So really I'm asking the regulars how they feel about this. Do PM or e-mail me if you don't feel like posting on this thread.

Will1985

Über Member
As long as I'm within 2 hours of London I'd be up for it. I see Aperitif has been bigging me up for TEC duties on other threads!

I'm going to have to make an effort to try and make at least the late October and possibly November FNRttCs.

In the meantime, gotta find a job!!

Young Un

Will1985 said:
As long as I'm within 2 hours of London I'd be up for it. I see Aperitif has been bigging me up for TEC duties on other threads!

I'm going to have to make an effort to try and make at least the late October and possibly November FNRttCs.

In the meantime, gotta find a job!!

You still going to be in b'ham in october and november Will? I fancy tyring one of these!

Will1985

Über Member
Not at the moment....October is definitely in Norfolk with maybe a trip to Brum to accompany the uni guys up to the BUCS hillclimb.

After that I just need to see where fate takes me.

Will1985

Über Member
Young Un said:
Fair enough!

Whilst your still in Brum, if you want to go out for a ride or something, then just give me a shout:biggrin:
The whole of September pretty much! Moving house today, dissertation submitted on Wednesday then I'm free - full on training!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm sure I'm only a noveau 'irregular' but I've got so much out of FNRttC's that I'm happy to volunteer to put something back in, in whatever capacity I'm judged fit for.

clivedb

Guru
dellzeqq said:
Some of you will know the March 2010 FNRttC might be a charity ride for Martlets Hospice, Hove.

I can imagine that some people might think - 'hang on, this might be less fun'. Others might think 'this is a good cause and I'm happy to help'.

So really I'm asking the regulars how they feel about this.

Simon

Although it is too early to commit to the ride in March, I am expecting to continue to participate next year and support this in principle - i.e. I'm in the latter group. I would be willing to help if there's anything useful I am competent to do.

The proposal does bring a focus that is interesting, as many people have assumed that the only reason I would be riding to Brighton (or other destinations) in the middle of the night is as part of some charity event. There is no doubt that many hospices are struggling for funds at the moment and if this goes ahead and I ride I will probably make it a personal charity ride for the Milton Keynes hospice and seek sponsors from friends and colleagues. If others did this then the ride could be for hospice support generally, with a focus on Martlets.

As a point of information, the martlet is the county bird for Sussex. It also happens to be a second world war carrier-borne aircraft. The connection used to be Martlet Toys in Chichester which it is just possible some people might remember.

Clive

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Like Greg, I'd count myself as a newbie, but I'm happy to help out if I can, on March's ride if I do it or whenever I'm asked. If nothing else, I can point ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The old shopping centre in Crawley was called The Martlets. As a small kid I thought a Martlet was a small shop. Turned out to be a mythical/heraldic legless bird. Plenty of legless birds in Crawley.

Top Bottom