Margaret Hodge Doors A Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22381347

'Senior Labour MP Margaret Hodge has promised to be more careful in future, after hitting a cyclist with her car door.'

That's OK then:rolleyes:
Well, she has at least apologised and accepted responsibilty. Other drivers may have chased the cyclist and duffed him/her up!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
"Mrs Hodge had her mobile phone in her hand as she left the car but was not using it."
what's the issue if she was? car was stationary.
i suppose seeing as the cyclist didn't ask charges won't be pressed. did she come clean immediately or did the news break the story and force her?

on the road

Über Member
If the cyclist was unharmed and the bike was undamaged then I don't see any reason for it to go any further, she admitted fault and apologised so she might be more careful next time.

I don't get this at all: this seems to be one traffic offence that you can only be charged if hurt or nearly hurt a cyclist. eg if you run a red light, it's still an offence even if you don't hit anyone, but if you open your door without looking it's only provable if some hits it.

So I think you should at least get fine/points. You can't get out of a speeding ticket by apologising.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In a way its a good thing to have happened.Maybe all the publicity about it will have made a few people think to take more care before opening car doors.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I don't get this at all: this seems to be one traffic offence that you can only be charged if hurt or nearly hurt a cyclist. eg if you run a red light, it's still an offence even if you don't hit anyone, but if you open your door without looking it's only provable if some hits it.

So I think you should at least get fine/points. You can't get out of a speeding ticket by apologising.

eh? a red light is an instruction, ignore the instruction, take (or invariably not) the consequences, opening a car door isn't a criminal offence per-se any more than jumping a green light is.

As for not looking (never good) but not causing a collision or hurting someone, you may as well be insisting on criminal prosecution for people bumping into others on the street because they have their head in a text message rather than eyes forwards. where do you draw the line?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - 105. No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person.

Did someone order a sm@rtarse?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Seems everyone involved is happy with the outcome....so a bit of a non story. Must be a slow news day.......:whistle:
I don't think it is a non story - it has stated that the driver is at fault - just might make a few drivers out there realise it is their responsibility! Her position will give the story more circulation!

Top Bottom