Marin bear valley cro-mo 1993

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Bar ends were they are now would be ideal for standing up climbing but if you want them more as alternative hand positions then make them steep.

In the end you'll settle to a position that suits you.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Whatever feels comfy for you.

Imaginos

On the subject of Marin bikes,I bought a Four Corners a few months ago. It’s my favorite thing and I’ll be bikepacking with it this year.

631F71D8-7D06-49B0-AA81-F12B718870F3.jpeg

38234380-9D33-4667-B2DA-02E9DA8BD56F.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
I would raise them a little, maybe in line with the stem.
It is personal preference though, take an Allen key out with you and adjust if necessary on your ride.

Agreed - they look a little low. On my 90s MTB I find the bar ends quite useful as an alternative hand position - I occasionally use them for out of the saddle but mostly for comfort or ‘aero’.

Venod

Eh up
I rode my Trek MTB without bar ends for a while, then tried some of the Cane Creek stubby ones that fit on the end of the bars, I wouldn't be without them now. with bars having a tendency to be wider I had to cut them down a bit to be comfortable.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My MTB years were 1992-2000.

Marin Muirwoods, Alpinestars Something-or-other, a Sararacen Kili-pro Elite (back when Saracen made seriously good bikes) and a built from scratch all-singing all-dancing Pace.

All equipped with bar-ends. Comfy extra position and on the last 2 bikes I had the ones that curved around in front of your hands. Yet another position and they also stopped the odd bush etc from whipping your hands to shreds.

mjwojo

Original owner of a 1993 Bear Valley. Glad you decided to keep the forks. Just had mine refurbished a few months ago.

Quick question for anyone here? What size does the bottom bracket use? Pedals decided that they didn’t want to turn yesterday.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mountain bike bb's are 73mm aren't they?
If not turning them it's something catastrophic which is unusual if it's a ST, they usually go on for intergalactic mileages without problems.

Top Bottom