Marin Muirwoods 29er (2018) vs Giant Escape 1 (2019) - help me decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I've been using my 25 year old Ridgeback hybrid but it's now feeling very tired and small, even though it's an 21 inch frame. The handlebars have always felt extremely narrow.
I'm 6' 4" and 17 stone. My commutes are for leisure where I cycle 10-20 (max) miles on road and cycle paths.

My cycling experience is with this old Ridgeback, a £700 Be-One hydraulic disc mountain bike, and a £500 Giant Defy 5 road bike.
I purchased the mountain bike as I felt it would provide stability for my large frame. It did, however it was heavy and penny farthings were overtaking me. I then went in the opposite direction and purchased, online, the road bike. It was light but I had no confidence that I would be safe with cars zipping past me on the roads. I wouldn't use the drop-bars either. So I then went to the trusty Ridgebike. For me, it is a middle ground between the mountain bike and the road bike.

I'm on the lookout for a new bike and would like your suggestions. To help with things, I think I have narrowed it down to the following two bikes:
Marin Muirwoods 29er (2018 model) - Size XXL:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/4310/bargain-hybrid-bikes-marin-muirwoods-review

Giant Escape 1 (2019 model) - Size XL:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/escape-1-disc-2019

They both have big wheels (the Marin has wider tyres).
The Marin is steel framed, but the Giant is Aluminium with a Carbon folk.
Both have hydraulic disc breaks (but the Marin has Shimano which I understand are good, where the Giant has Tektro which I understand is lesser quality).
Both have wider handlebars than I currently have (which isn't hard) but the Marin's bars seem to be extra wide.
The Giant has internal cabling, the Marin doesn't.
The Giant has tubeless tyres, but Marin doesn't (not sure which is better).
The Marin is XXL and the Giant is XL.
I can get either for £300 second-hand. The Marin has been ridden for around 10 miles (so it's new), the Giant for 400 miles (but looks in great shape still).

With my frame (height and weight) and my intended use (leisure cycling on roads and maybe across grass parks) - which would you suggest?
Which is the better 'bang for buck'?
Is the Giant, having done 400 road miles, going to need many replacements, or is 400 miles nothing for a Giant bike?
Is £300 for either bike a good price (there are no marks on either bike)?

If you can suggest another bike then that'll be great.
I appreciate test riding them is the best thing to do but if this isn't an option, which would you suggest?

Thanks.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Marin will be heavier made of steel vs the alu/carbon Giant. On that basis, I’d personally choose the latter. Tektro hydraulic brakes are ok
assuming both fit you ok obviously. Go sit on them at the very least
Also, bar width doesnt matter, you can always change or cut down

Reactions: dac

Shropshire65LW

I’d go for the Marin .. but that’s just me ,
im after a used mountain bike at the moment be great if I could find a Marin
we all have a favourite things .i prefer steel frames wish I hadn’t sold my old Trek
I replaced with a Giant Anyroad which wast for me at all. Gone back to a flat bar
hybrid picked up a Specialized crosstrail which I’m very happy with ......

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have a Giant Escape 1 2019. Very happy with it. But, I cannot comment on the Marin.

One small point. I had not had tubeless tyres before. I was very disappointed with those on the Giant. They are not (in my opinion) tubeless, they have integrated tubes, so, it is not possible to simply put a tube in, if you get a "big" puncture which does not self seal. After a few months, I changed the tyres to Marathons, with conventional inner tubes.

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks for your replies.
Just an update to my original post.
The Marin has been sold but the Escape 1 is now £250.
There is also a 2017 Giant Roam 2 (disc) available for £190.
Both the Escape 1 and Roam 2 are my size, are allumium framed, come with disc breaks, and 700c tyres.
I am wary of front suspension due to the heaviness of my steel mountain bike. However, with the Roam being made from allimium and has 63mm travel suspension, it should not be anywhere near like the heaviness of the mountain bike I had.

With the roam having suspension to handle rough terrain, it should handle my size/frame well.

Any further thoughts?
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
You want disc brakes not breaks (that would be bad ;) )

Don't get a bike with suspension unless it's for proper off road, your weight isn't an issue for a modern bike, just don;t drop off kerbs and try to avoid potholes. You're not that heavy nor a complete giant!

I'd get the Escape before it sells, it sounds very reasonable. After 400 miles if it's been looked after, it shouldn't need any work (at the worst it may need a clean, possibly but unlikely a chain)

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks Vickster.
I understand that bikes are commanding a premium at this present time.
How much would you say a 2019 Escape 1 Disc (with 400 miles on the clock, with three small pain/frame chips on the top tube) would be selling for normally (in the absence of C19)?
I see the RRP is £625 but many online stores, although now out of stock, were selling them at around £500 (maybe this was end of season clearance).
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Vickster.
I understand that bikes are commanding a premium at this present time.
How much would you say a 2019 Escape 1 Disc (with 400 miles on the clock, with three small pain/frame chips on the top tube) would be selling for normally (in the absence of C19)?
I see the RRP is £625 but many online stores, although now out of stock, were selling them at around £500 (maybe this was end of season clearance).
Thanks.
It would have been £250 or more anyhow. 50pc of new is v fair. Hybrids from big brands were always higher priced. If a medium frame it would be £350 or more so £250 Seems a bargain to me.
Bikes get chipped. Don’t sweat it

OP
OP
D

dac

Really? A second hand hybrid for £350. I'm surprised but then I'm not ofay with bike prices.
Okay, well, if you think that £250 is a good price, outside of C-19 prices, then I'll take it. If £250 is top dollar then I'd wait for a cheaper bike, as my current hybrid is fine for now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Really? A second hand hybrid for £350. I'm surprised but then I'm not ofay with bike prices.
Okay, well, if you think that £250 is a good price, outside of C-19 prices, then I'll take it. If £250 is top dollar then I'd wait for a cheaper bike, as my current hybrid is fine for now.
It’s only a year old, losing 30-50% from RRP would be expected
£250 is cheap for a year old bike imo (as someone who has bought and sold a few).
You could buy a £100 bike but it could easily need £50-100 of new consumable parts (cassette, chain, cables, brake pads, tyres) and be a much lesser or heavier bike in the first place.
Obviously bake sure the Giant isn’t nicked, ask for proof of ownership and quiz the seller a bit about the bike

OP
OP
D

dac

The seller's story is...
He has a 2017 Roam 2 (which is for sale). In 2019 he bought the Escape 1. Then in May '20 he purchased a full carbon bike. So you can see he is going in the direction of speed.
I've asked for the paperwork for the Escape in which he says he has none. He said he purchased it from Tredz last year. He said he got it a service (a tune up rather than repair) a month back which he has a receipt for.
He has been forthcoming with the photos and even took close ups of the single cluster on frame chips on the top tube (which he says are superficial). He is articulate too (although I'm sure thieves can be articulate).
I'm not sure what else I can check. Oh, and he would like PayPal as payment which seems safer for me as the purchaser.

Unless there are any further tips I should follow, or things to check for reassurance that its worth £250, then I guess I'll go for it.
I'll be driving a two hour round trip to collect it so need to be sure it is a good deal.

Thanks Vickster for your responses. They have been helpful.
I'm open to others' views too on the price and questions to ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dac

Hi Vickster - I will be a fair weather rider, so rim breaks will suffice for me. However, disc breaks do look nice with more stopping power.
My concern is the maintenance of disc brakes, especially hydraulic disc brakes. I've read if they leak it's an expensive job.
With my relaxed, fair weather riding, should I just go with rim brakes?
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster - I will be a fair weather rider, so rim breaks will suffice for me. However, disc breaks do look nice with more stopping power.
My concern is the maintenance of disc brakes, especially hydraulic disc brakes. I've read if they leak it's an expensive job.
With my relaxed, fair weather riding, should I just go with rim brakes?
Thanks.
You could do. I had a couple of flatbar bikes with hydraulics, granted I didn’t do that many miles on them but never needed any maintenance.
I’d get the right bike at the right price. Your local bike shop can help in future if needed ( think mine charges £30 to service hydraulic discs)
Who knows you may decide to ride more in all weathers ;)

Top Bottom