Marin. What happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevedeer

Regular
Hi All. I'm bikeless at the moment and looking around. I had a Marin Bear Valley in the 90s, and another Marin (silver and orange thing) later on. Made a huge mistake buying a Scott Sub 10 Hybrid after that. Don't seem to see Marins around anymore, was really happy with my two. I'm looking to buy used, good quality but low price. Would love a Birdy or Brompton too, just to keep in the car boot. If you can think of alternative brands for MTBs, please shout. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What was wrong with the Scott?

Now do you want a rigid mountain bike or a hardtail?

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
Hybrid was just not for me. I'm mostly road, but I'm either way with rigid or hardtail. Had some lovely 'Nokia city runner' tyres fitted to my last Marin.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They were made in some numbers there are usually plenty of Bear Valleys around so I check on gumtree and there were four., seven on eBay. There’s even just a frame on eBay so you could build as you want. What part of the country are you?

:welcome: to the forum.

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
They were made in some numbers there are usually plenty of Bear Valleys around so I check on gumtree and there were four., seven on eBay. There’s even just a frame on eBay so you could build as you want. What part of the country are you?

:welcome: to the forum.
Wirral, Merseyside

vickster

Legendary Member
Hybrid was just not for me. I'm mostly road, but I'm either way with rigid or hardtail. Had some lovely 'Nokia city runner' tyres fitted to my last Marin.
Was it a rigid or suspension fork?
What didn’t you like about it (especially on road?)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Marin are still producing bikes and have quite a few dealers in the UK.
I read only a few days ago* that they had at some point been acquired by a major Taiwanese framebuilding company and became essentially the 'house' brand.

*On here, IIRC - or maybe t'other place.

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
Was it a rigid or suspension fork?
What didn’t you like about it (especially on road?)
It was rigid, and a bit too lightweight. I'm a big fella (16 stone, ex rugby). just didn't like it, shouldn't have sold my orange/silver hard tail Marin. Too emotionally attached to it, but didn't realise at the time!

vickster

Legendary Member
It was rigid, and a bit too lightweight. I'm a big fella (16 stone, ex rugby). just didn't like it, shouldn't have sold my orange/silver hard tail Marin. Too emotionally attached to it, but didn't realise at the time!
Try to get the same again 👍

John_S

Über Member
Top Bottom