Mark Beaumont (reprise)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I didn't know which of the previous threads to add to, so decided simply to start a new one! Besides, my comments were slightly different... excuses over ;)

I've recently watched the world and Americas episodes and it came over (to me anyway) that he seemed unprepared for bike problems at times. This is not criticism btw, I think his endeavours are fantastic and I am in awe at his mental and physical strength. It just seemed to me that he hadn't perhaps given as much thought to the bike as to other areas of his preparation. Or perhaps he had and the production team were just trying to beef up the few problems he had for the sake of drama.

Three spokes popped in the first couple of days (not his fault, okay) due to what was implied as a faulty build with the Rohloff hub. Punctures are expected, spokes popping when touring are not unexpected... that he had to change tubes and spokes was made out to be a drama... but then perhaps the documentary made more of them than Mark himself would have. And did he ride that knackered tyre another 500km?? The bottom bracket going was more-or-less to be expected with the kind of mileage he was doing. The headset perhaps equally.

We didn't see what spares and tools he was carrying, or what running repairs/maintenance he did do. I'm certain, for instance, he went through a fair few tyres and chains! Just a basic chain oiling MUST have occurred. I'm quite sure he didn't just get on and ride it every day.

I would love to speak to him (not that I'll get the chance!) just to find out what sort of stuff went on behind the scenes. To see if he did have the bike serviced at any point, if there was a support crew available somewhere in a worst case scenario.

I stress, not criticism. Just, as a cyclist, genuine interest.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Actually, thinking of other aspects, I do think the production process did perhaps make the adventures seem a little more gung-ho and old school adventure than perhaps they were in reality. These days, people do tend to plan these sorts of escapades thoroughly.

A great deal was made of the carbs he had to consume on a daily basis but I only recall one scene of him eating tent-side rations. He MUST have been carrying a fair amount of food (and water on some legs) with him, certainly more than we ever saw!

Ergle

Über Member
I'm halfway through his book "The Man who Cycled the World". Very interesting and readable.

I get the impression that he relied quite heavily on having the best bike for the job, and getting the bike serviced when he could - which on the world tour took some coordination with his days off. He had spoke probs early in the world tour which were solved by a mechanic rebuilding the wheels with the spokes so loose that Mark had little confidence in them. Needless to say - they lasted well.

Apart from that, he carried spare spokes and changed them when they broke. I don't recall the mention of basic maintenance such as chain oiling - maybe too mundane!!

OP
OP
Y

yello

I didn't realise there was a book. Maybe that'd give me more of an insight, answer some of my questions.

sleekitcollie

yello said:

I would love to speak to him (not that I'll get the chance!) just to find out what sort of stuff went on behind the scenes. .
he is currently doing a uk talk tour . i was at the stirling show last week , mark was more than happy to chat and answer any questions after the show , and from the reviews and twitter updates he does this every show , so why not get urself along to what was a very interesting talk ,
u can also ask any question on his twitter account which i can assure u he does answer himself
@MrMarkBeaumont or his web page which has e mail addys for him as well
http://www.markbeaumontonline.com/mbo/

HelenD123

Guru
I'd second what sleekitcollie said. I went to the show in Wakefield and he was definitely around to chat to people. It was a very enjoyable evening.

rh100

Just been to the lecture tonight at Leamington. I bought his book during the interval which he happily signed for me, very friendly chap.

He did mention that he had to repair his own wheel in someones bike workshop as the bike mechanics didn't know how to do it, so from that I gather he can do his own maintainance. In the lecture he goes into some detail about the film making process, it makes you realise how much goes on that you just don't see.

Looking forward to reading the book.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rh100 said:
Just been to the lecture tonight at Leamington. I bought his book during the interval which he happily signed for me, very friendly chap.

He did mention that he had to repair his own wheel in someones bike workshop as the bike mechanics didn't know how to do it, so from that I gather he can do his own maintainance. In the lecture he goes into some detail about the film making process, it makes you realise how much goes on that you just don't see.

Looking forward to reading the book.

Do you mean the 'round the world' book or has he written another one about the Americas?

OP
OP
Y

yello

rh100 said:
In the lecture he goes into some detail about the film making process, it makes you realise how much goes on that you just don't see.

I figured that there must be one helluva lot of stuff that we didn't see!

I'll see if I can get a copy of the book to try and satisfy my curiosity.

sleekitcollie

the book is the man that cycled the world , its a great read , id say its more about the actual trip , the route , the people he came across , how he was feeling , the probs and the highs and lows as well as the logistics of the trip , some stuff about the bike etc and some of the probs he had with it but on a whole its more about the TRIP rather than the bike .
u can get it from most book shops or u can e mail him via his web site and he will send you one
i spoke to him last week and he is ready to sit down very soon ( august i think )and start writting his nxt book about the Americas trip

Top Bottom