mark beaumont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
on the program last night it also said iirc that his bottom bracket was only designed to last 1800 miles.

Find this hard to believe, would someone as experienced as him really use a bottom bracket with such limited shelf life?

Did anyone feel that Mexico was sensationalised somewhat ref the violence? Whilst there is undoubtedly violence there it was portrayed as if he could be kidnapped/assaulted at any time.

no doubt for the benefits of the public to make it more entertaining but having researched other tourists who have gone through mexico none others reported this heightened alertnesses to problem surroundings.
The trouble is if it is sensationalised it can act as a deterrent. On the plus side it does educate ref Mexico but the question was, was the sensationalisim if applicable overdone?

jags

Guru
the same thing happened to my b/b .
on the americam site cycling forum they reckon mexico is dangerous country especially near the border ,so mark is telling it as it is .

ChrisKH

Guru
If you have been to Mexico where the chances are you can be robbed by a policeman at gunpoint if you are on your own, then I don't think the dangers are overstated.

Davidc

Guru
Mexico's supposed to be OK in the tourist resorts, but highly dangerous elsewhere because of the drug war going on at present, so he was probably just being accurate.

Given the load he's carrying, and the terrain, climate and distances I'm not surprised the BB and headset gave up! The quoted life on a lot of components seems low. Transmission bits such as chains, cassettes, and chainsets only seem to be rated for about 1000 miles, and many others for less than 2000, and even doing that intensive touring he's getting more.

I'm not sure whether current components are better or worse than older ones, however the 'traditional' BBs and headsets did have the advantage of being repairable given some ball bearings of the right size and a smal amount of thick grease whereas the ones made now are all sealed throw away units.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I thought the same thing, not a great advert for the Bike IMO..

still would like to know what covering he is using on the butterfly bars (did not look like tape or foam)

sparkyman

jitensha

I thought the programme last night was unnecessarily sensationalist. Many people have cycled in more dangerous places without all this OTT drama. I reckon it's mainly the BBC who have insisted on dramatising it. The decision to bypass Honduras and Colombia were cowardly IMO, but I can understand that MB has to do what the BBC want him to do. Some suit in London decides the route, which isn't very adventerous IMO.

Every leg of the journey seems to be billed as "pushing Mark to the very limits of human endurance" or "the most extreme part of the journey so far". Fair play to Beaumont though. He's living the dream and getting paid to do it. For my money though he's an entertainer not an explorer or adventurer. Ian Hibble, Heinz Stucke, Al Humpheries et al are the real deal.

I couldn't be bothered sitting through the concluding episode next week, but i do hope that overall MB's exploits have a positive effect on promoting cycling.

Garz

Squat Member
I was more cheesed off at the 'has burnt off xxx amount of calories..' mentioned a couple of times each episode.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yes, that annoyed me too... has burnt so much.. blah blah blah.. needs to eat so much blah blah blah...

Garz said:
I was more cheesed off at the 'has burnt off xxx amount of calories..' mentioned a couple of times each episode.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I've no doubt that manufacturers could make BB's and headsets to last almost indefinitely, however commercial pressures, not to mention shareholders, demand a reasonable turnover. Parts are therefore made to last the average rider a reasonable time under reasonable conditions. I don't think anyone would describe the conditions under which Mr Beaumont is cycling as reasonable, or indeed him as an average cyclist.

I do admire the resourcefulness of the local mechanics though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have been to Mexico recently and apart from the northern border area it seemed entirely safe to me. I travelled in the countryside and was met with nothing but kindness and warmth and it p*ssed me off that the dangers were so exaggerated.

canadiense

OK if this is the area for a rant here is one from a Canadian - STOP CALLING THE USA - AMERICA. There are two continents to form the Americas. The Mexicans call the gringos "Norteamericanos" (North Americans) to mock the fact that they claim it all for themselves.

Here in Canada we don't go to America (because we live there already) we go to the States.

By the way, there are some areas of Mexico that are dangerous, certainly the northern border towns are to be avoided - especially Juarez, Tijuana and Nuevo Laredo. I go to Mexico as frequently as possible and have found that the further away from tourists you can get - the safer you are.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
canadiense said:
OK if this is the area for a rant here is one from a Canadian - STOP CALLING THE USA - AMERICA. There are two continents to form the Americas. The Mexicans call the gringos "Norteamericanos" (North Americans) to mock the fact that they claim it all for themselves.

Here in Canada we don't go to America (because we live there already) we go to the States.

By the way, there are some areas of Mexico that are dangerous, certainly the northern border towns are to be avoided - especially Juarez, Tijuana and Nuevo Laredo. I go to Mexico as frequently as possible and have found that the further away from tourists you can get - the safer you are.

Calm down dear. We don't do rants in T&E:rolleyes:xx(

I suppose it's a bit like North Americans often referring to the UK as England much to the Scots annoyance. Irritating but not worth getting worked up about.xx(

Top Bottom