mark beaumont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Are you able to get the BBC i player in the frozen wastes, Dayvo?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
canadiense said:
OK if this is the area for a rant here is one from a Canadian - STOP CALLING THE USA - AMERICA. There are two continents to form the Americas. The Mexicans call the gringos "Norteamericanos" (North Americans) to mock the fact that they claim it all for themselves.

Here in Canada we don't go to America (because we live there already) we go to the States.

Good point well made.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's a bit over melodramatic for my liking with all the dangers highlighted when you only have to look at CGOAB to see that many people do the trip all the time.
I expect you were in more danger from funnel web spiders and amorous roos in Oz!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They overdid the whole dramatisation thing, its the narration that kicks it over the edge, its understandable mark being cautious as a lone traveller etc, but the narration dramatised everything he said.

Its not great as a show in general but relativelly speaking, vs the other dross on tv, its at least semi-interesting.

Rob3rt said:
They overdid the whole dramatisation thing, its the narration that kicks it over the edge, its understandable mark being cautious as a lone traveller etc, but the narration dramatised everything he said.

Its not great as a show in general but relativelly speaking, vs the other dross on tv, its at least semi-interesting.

But some/most(?) of the time he's got a TV crew with him.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I agree with the constant repetition about the calorific intake as if the rest of us when touring make do with a banana and a packet of fruit gums!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Dayvo said:
But some/most(?) of the time he's got a TV crew with him.

Does he? To be completelly honest I havent paid that much attention to it, I watched both episodes it on iplayer when returning from my training while I cook and eat. I noticed him holding out his own camera a good few times and assumed it was filmed solely by him. Also in the credits it says filmed by Mark Beaumont.

dragon72

Guru
Personally I'm all for the over-dramatisation.

When I tell my mates about my summer holidays, they'll all think I've "pushed [my] body to its limits" and "risk life and limb" on "epic journeys", when in actual fact, I've just been cycle touring for two or three weeks.

They all think I'm Bear Grylls as it is for cycling 2 and a half miles to work every day!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
He usually films it himself, according to the narrator. He was joined briefly by a cameraman in the middle of this weeks episode, and was commenting on the option of looking a the hand cam or the film crew one.

I think it's a bit OTT on the danger and calorie-counting front, but I guess those have been added to make the event seem more extreme. What really surprised me though was that bit in the first episode about wearing his rear tyre out 500 miles from the nearest bike shop. I may be too cautious but I would have been looking at carrying a spare folding tyre in areas that remote.

Still a good effort though and nice to see a cycle tour getting so much coverage :wacko:

I have saw the first episode, so I might be a bit unfair, but who does the long-distance filming, such as when he climbed the mountain and talks to people along the route, such as the cycling musicians?

Also, as someone pointed out, when he was REALLY thirsty and buys some water: why did he wait to set up the camera first, only to film himself afterwards, when any normal person would have gulped the water down on the way to the till to pay for it?

Michael Palin's travelling programs show him travelling light, but he had a crew of five, plus ALL their equipment!

It's an illusion of independence, sexed up and dumbed down for TV, methinks!

Domestique

Über Member
I think part of his problem is he is now a bit of a celeb. Nothing full blown but still a minor celeb and possibly more prone to kidnapping etc. At least thats my take on it.

Top Bottom