mark beaumont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Percy said:
Mind you, one quote stood out for me:

"Mark's not had an alcoholic drink for over four months."

Pah - get yourself a cold beer after a long day on the bike, Mark. Live a little! :biggrin:

That one shook me to the core too.

Coco

summerdays said:
I think anything on TV showing cycling is good both for me to watch and for the larger audience that will watch it.

I think Summerdays has hit the nail on the head. This show isn't just for cycling enthusiasts, its for the genereal public. The TV company have to make it entertaining for people who don't know what a BB is let alone its lifespan.

Having said that, although it was an interesting program, I found his interactions with the locals worthy of a squirm or two. He didn't seem to draw much out of the conversations, but hopefully that'll pick up as he does more of these programs.

HelenD123

Guru
FWIW one of my colleagues made a point of telling me how much he'd enjoyed the programme and he can't even ride a bike!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
A bloke I work with says he enjoyed the program, and can see the freedom and adventure that cycle touring offers. Might be a convert????

Might there be a shift in values of people placing adventure and accomplishment over consumerism and 'image'???

Hope so.

Ergle

Über Member
summerdays said:
I don't know how much is him actively hyping it up, and how much is due to what he is doing. If you spend time on the road on your own for a long time, eventually the camera must seem someone you can chat to, express your worries etc.

Just seen this on I Player. I see a bloke on a bike making a video of his bike ride. I don't think Mark is hyping it at all, I do see him filming at times when I guess he really doesn't feel like it, but needs to to give the overall project the depth it needs. His camera skills are good - not much camera shake for a guy riding one handed and holding the camera at arms length.

The production costs for a 2 1/2 hour documentary must be about as low as they come - let's hope he's able to make enough dosh from this to cover his costs and fund the next one at least. I'm enjoying this more than "The man who cycled the world", partly I think because Mark's film production skills are improved.

jags

Guru
well good on ya mark i really enjoyed the last show bloody brilliant.im sure he pops in here every now and again to see what folks think of him.
yeah im going to put the feet up and watch the whole lot again ,that as near i'll get to touring the planet..

Garz

Squat Member
Must admit his climbing added to the achievement, but sounds like you need luck from the weather too. I thought my job could get lonely, them desert scenes looked harsh.

aberal

Guru
Ergle said:
The production costs for a 2 1/2 hour documentary must be about as low as they come - let's hope he's able to make enough dosh from this to cover his costs and fund the next one at least. I'm enjoying this more than "The man who cycled the world", partly I think because Mark's film production skills are improved.

I agree with you here. He, if I am to be frank, came across as a bit of a whinging arse on his world trip, but I think we saw a better side of him this time round. He's probably a bit more mature and worldly wise. He does seem to have the ability to interact with people, but the programme would have been better if he'd conveyed that bit more. As well as the scenery he's passing through, it's the people that make these trips interesting and worthwhile and its something he should develop for future trips.

I am not a great lover of watching Mark Beumont on the telly - but I think its probably that he would not get on with me and I would not get on with him.

The repetative comments about calories - that is something that I repeat to myself every day when I am touring - losing too much weight is not good for me - I was talking to a doctor about my cycling the other day and he could not get over the amount I was eating on tour and still failing - the average member of the general public have not got any idea

The danger element - I have worked in places that you could get shot by accident - I have even been shot at accidentally (they apolagised in the morning - we did not know it was you Mr P) - you have to be aware of it - If you are not then the chance of something happening becomes greater

I every admiration for the bloke - he has managed to make a career out of cycle touring and has pushed it to the point if it is not actually mainstream telly then not far off - He portrays a pretty honest picture of himself which I like - It has not however dispelled the myth that cycle tourers are a little eccentric - However, I do not mind fooling people into thinking that I am a little eccentric

As many people have said there are many more people on CGOB who I regard as having achieved more - however they choose only to reveal it in the form of their journals - My particular hero at the moment is Ann Wilson http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/annsbikeride

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I have just watched episode 1 and I am fascinated by his engineering skills! Stop the programme at 14 minutes and you can see that the drive side is on the left, then he changes it back to the right side and after 30 minutes, it's back to the left! I know that the video has been flipped over but that has spoiled it for me. Anyone else noticed it?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
psmiffy said:
As many people have said there are many more people on CGOB who I regard as having achieved more - however they choose only to reveal it in the form of their journals - My particular hero at the moment is Ann Wilson http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/annsbikeride

I too am following Ann Wilson and also Keith Halligan.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/kapp2cape
This is a great read of derring-do. A young bloke of 25 deciding toi spice up his life with an epic adventure on a very low budget and ropey equipment. For me, it knocks Mark's achievements into a cocked hat.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think what would make it more interesting would be if he took it a little slower and stopped and talked to more of locals - perhaps he did but didn't always film those bits or the producer thought they weren't the best bits to show. Still its more than I would ever do - so well done on completing his goal.

HelenD123

Guru
I'm also following Ann Wilson. It feels like she's been on the road much longer than she actually has.

Rich P - thanks for the other link. I read it so far then didn't see it appear again.

Armegatron

Really enjoying this one, but not as much as the "man who cycled the world".

Before I watched Mark's world trip just before the summer of last year I was not a "cyclist", but I would use a bike every now and then to pop to uni.
After watching the program I had a huge respect for the bloke and was given an insight to what being a "cyclist" could offer me - ie great views, improved health, and a challenge. Now Im hooked on riding the bike anywhere and everywhere and probably owe it to Mark for this.

Top Bottom