mark beaumont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mr_hippo said:
I have just watched episode 1 and I am fascinated by his engineering skills! Stop the programme at 14 minutes and you can see that the drive side is on the left, then he changes it back to the right side and after 30 minutes, it's back to the left! I know that the video has been flipped over but that has spoiled it for me. Anyone else noticed it?
Yes - I did. I tried pointing it out to the friend who was watching it with me but for some reason she was more interested in talking about the scenery! :biggrin:

Cathryn said:
My particular hero at the moment is YOU!! I'm currently stuck in Italy with you. Where are you now, actually?

I have finished the narrative of the Journal home in October just adding a few bells and whistles

rich p said:
I too am following Ann Wilson and also Keith Halligan.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/kapp2cape
This is a great read of derring-do. A young bloke of 25 deciding toi spice up his life with an epic adventure on a very low budget and ropey equipment. For me, it knocks Mark's achievements into a cocked hat.

I have been folowing him since he started - more ordeal by cycle touring than I could cope with - but he made it which at times I thought he would not - speaks volumes for his adaptability and determination - RESPECT

Tony

I am also following Smiffy and Ann (have a day job identifying her birds...) and I delight in seeing familiar places through others' eyes (yes, you, Psmiffy!)Mark B? A nice guy, no camera crew in evidence when I met him (amd I watched him do a piece to arms-length camera). All I would say is that his programmes are not about cycle touring as we understand it, but about competitiveness, almost racing. That removes the option for stopping and talking and experiencing the places he passes through.
I did identify heavily with one thing he said, which was in the Atacama IIRC.
"If it would do any good I would cry..."

samid

Veteran
canadiense said:
OK if this is the area for a rant here is one from a Canadian - STOP CALLING THE USA - AMERICA. There are two continents to form the Americas. The Mexicans call the gringos "Norteamericanos" (North Americans) to mock the fact that they claim it all for themselves.

Here in Canada we don't go to America (because we live there already) we go to the States.
A bit late to the party and totally OT (sorry for that) - but I can't resist telling my favorite "USA is not all of America" story: I recently bought a "media player" - a device that connects to a TV set and can show movies from a portable hard drive, and also if connected to the internet some select internet content - including weather. Well, to make it short: in the internet weather menu, there are 3 options: USA, Europe and "rest of the world" (with quite a lot of cities included). But - there is NO Canada! So there's no way to check what the weather is in e.g. Toronto. Mind you, this thing was bought in a Canadian store.

Tony said:
I am also following Smiffy and Ann (have a day job identifying her birds...) and I delight in seeing familiar places through others' eyes (yes, you, Psmiffy!)Mark B? A nice guy, no camera crew in evidence when I met him (amd I watched him do a piece to arms-length camera). All I would say is that his programmes are not about cycle touring as we understand it, but about competitiveness, almost racing. That removes the option for stopping and talking and experiencing the places he passes through.
I did identify heavily with one thing he said, which was in the Atacama IIRC.
"If it would do any good I would cry..."

If I had known that you could have done mine - when I actually get round to finishing this journal I am going to buy a decent birds of Europe and go through marking it up

Tony

Mate,I did Daviddd's when he went round Oz, plus Werner and Thomas. There is no better excuse when on some bastard Aussie hill...."I'm not resting, I just saw a cool bird!"
Just let me know when you want a check.

Feeling frisky with all this touring talk. Need to be out with tent and bike.....

Is there such a thing as an xl - for want of a better words - European Birders list

I am pretty good at identifying birds - many years exposure to my parents and aunt on family holidays - with a book and my memory I should be able not only to identify what I have seen but where - the main one I had difficulty with last tour was the Eagle owl - never seen one before - mind rotated many variants and maturity stages of quite a lot of raptors before it dawned on me not only was it an owl but a very large owl - flight was a dead give away

on a bike they practically give themselves up - for birds at distance I carry a Bresslar 10 x 50 monocular in bag attached to my stem

I followed Davidds and yours Aussie tour - I would of thought that you would have some sort of tour in mind!

Tony

Not enough cash for a big one this year....saving for next. Want to get to the States for one....

Penfold

Anyway back to the thrust of the thread...MB's programmes can do a bit of good for cycling. Most people that I know have watched bits of the progs and always comment how good/hard it seems.

I would have liked a start up prog similar to the 'Long way down' series where 'we' could have seen MB's bike being made and sorted with his ideal bits of kit, a quick explanation of why this over this etc etc.

Still a decent watch but a tad repetative in parts (Calories/danger/gangs etc)

So dear MB whats next? Off road cycle to Everest base camp then the accent itself with a 12 year old British girl in tow (just to beat the 13 yr old American boy trying it soon) ;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Just got back from seeing Mark in Wakefield. Was struck with what a nice, unassuming bloke he is, just focussed on the challenge and on how he can communicate it to people at home. I thought he was lovely. I came away quite challenged about how to push myself out of my comfort zone.

I'm MORE inspired though by the lovely HelenD, who was there as well...fab to see you, Helen. I'm so excited by your trip.

Top Bottom