Mark Beaumont's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Did anyone watch it?

;)

just jim

Joe said:
Most annoying voiceover ever!

You mean Bill Paterson? He's a veteran voiceover man - man!

I liked it - there seems to be lots of bears, trees and guitar players in Canada.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ach, that just the English whining because it didn't have sub titles :rolleyes:. Some of the script on Mt McKinly was a wee bit over the top, but apart for that it was enjoyable viewing...

Joe

Über Member
Just to clarify, annoying in terms what was said, not his actual voice. It just seemed completely OTT. Would much rather have listened to Mark talk more.
I find the appeal lies in seeing the scenery and bike touring on screen, not in bigging him up as some heroic adventurer, particularly as what he's doing is not that unique.

I'll still watch them all mind

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Joe said:
Just to clarify, annoying in terms what was said, not his actual voice. It just seemed completely OTT. Would much rather have listened to Mark talk more.
I find the appeal lies in seeing the scenery and bike touring on screen, not in bigging him up as some heroic adventurer, particularly as what he's doing is not that unique.

I'll still watch them all mind

I agree with you to a point, but as we are already cyclists, we know what to expect on long distance rides, or a lot of us do. The program is meant for a wider audience, some of whom have trouble walking to the shops, so to them this would be a huge adventure. I thought it was quite good and will watch the rest of the series.

Greedo

The only thing I hate about these type of programmes is the drama they try to create when there's not much happening. Like the water thing. We all know he was going to be okay so all that's a bit tedious. Other than that I enjoyed it.

Good to see it was shown all over the UK and not stuck on BBC2/3/4 at some obscure time

ChrisKH

Guru
Well I enjoyed it. Mrs KH asked how he washed his clothes. I said in the river along with himself. It did raise the logistic question as to whether this was meant to be unsupported (ie just him) and would the film crew have said 'no' if he asked for a chocolate bar/ bottle of water? I'm sure he mentioned film crew for Mt. McKinley.

Did he have regular resupply arrangements? If so, on what basis? When's he going to get a proper job? I'm just jealous really. Mrs. KH doubted the existence of a girlfriend as she would never see him. Funny what the different genders look at in this type of programme.

rh100

He's credited with the filming so I assumed no support. Although they did mention cameraman at the start so not sure.

As for a day job - I doubt he needs one, he's doing a tour of the UK speaking about it plus the book and tv deals.

darkstar

Paulus said:
The program is meant for a wider audience, some of whom have trouble walking to the shops, so to them this would be a huge adventure.
I'd have thought that anyone, cyclist or not would consider this to be a hige adventure, no? The cycling coupled with the mountain assents makes this a massive adventure IMO.

As for the cameraman, it said he was with him for the start, but once Mark begun to cycle, he left. I'm pretty impressed with his camera work, can't imagine thinking about artistic merit when being so tired!

Top Bottom