Marketing hype?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A thread in commuting about a Colnago Ferrari set me thinking about non-bike companies who have attached their name to a bicycle.

There's a Storck Cosworth ebike:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/artic...-cosworth-on-new-electric-bike-project-28919/

A Mercedes Benz bike:

http://www.complex.com/rides/2012/11/2012-edition-mercedes-benz-mountain-bike

And a couple of bikes by Porsche:

http://www.porsche-bike.com/us/porsche-bike-s/

Looks like marketing hype to me, but leaving that aside, can anyone add to the list?

My examples are motoring-related, but any non-bike company branded bikes will do.

I quite fancy one of these Diesel branded Pinarellos:

http://www.pinarello.com/eng/diesel_only_the_brave_black.php

You'll occasionally find me, nose pressed up to the window, outside the Bike Rooms in Manchester, ogling one.

oldroadman

Veteran
As they are probably all from the same Taiwanese producer anyway and sprayed up to specification, you may as well get a Giant. If you have to buy they are likely to be better value, the Porsche/Mercedes/etc branding is just marketing to people who can afford expensive cars and may be inclined to go the "matching" route. Sold by dealers who have little or no clue about bicycles.

Peugeot, apparently... Seriously!

I mean, like, Peugeot? Hello? Bicycles? I don't think so!

Heritage? No.

Decades of involvement in the sport? No!

Ever do anything useful like run a pro team? No!!!

For them, as for so many others, it is just about selling more of their SUV-people-carrier-Gti-fartbox-whizzbang-turbowagons.

So sad, so cynical, so pointless. I rest my case.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Heritage? No.

For them, as for so many others, it is just about selling more of their SUV-people-carrier-Gti-fartbox-whizzbang-turbowagons.

Sorry but you are wrong. Peugeot are in fact the most successful factory Tour de France team of all time winning a record ten times!

Sorry but you are wrong. Peugeot are in fact the most successful factory Tour de France team of all time winning a record ten times!

Damn! And I was so sure of my facts! Wow!

I've been following the TdF for decades and had no idea this car firm had any cycling heritage at all.

Thank you for putting me right on that. You are sure.... aren't you?

Peugeot? Like, the car people Peugeot? Bicycles? It just seems so absurd and unlikely.

Seen a BMW bike on a roof rack in a showroom.
Probably looks good, goes nicely, but has astoundingly expensive parts and labour bills. For example, bottom bracket wears out, whole frame needs replacing.

Yes I'm bitter!! Grrrr!! :cursing:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Seen a BMW bike on a roof rack in a showroom.
Probably looks good, goes nicely, but has astoundingly expensive parts and labour bills. For example, bottom bracket wears out, whole frame needs replacing.

Yes I'm bitter!! Grrrr!! :cursing:

I bet the rider never gives a hand signal.

Heritage? No.

And who says sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?!? Made me laugh. ;)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've noticed F1 drivers who cycle the track outside of practice sessions, quite often seem to have bikes of their own team/engine supplier. I wondered if these were just badged up for more brand presence, but I know theres the S-Works McLaren Venge and a Ferrari Colnago collaboration of sorts, and undoubtedly others. I guess at least it makes sense in that both parties will be into engineering with carbon fibre.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Damn! And I was so sure of my facts! Wow!

I've been following the TdF for decades and had no idea this car firm had any cycling heritage at all.

Thank you for putting me right on that. You are sure.... aren't you?

Peugeot? Like, the car people Peugeot? Bicycles? It just seems so absurd and unlikely.
Like a few of their peers, Peugeot made bikes before they made cars. Unlike most car companies though, they made the cars as well as the bikes not instead of. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom