Martial Arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sam Kennedy said:
I think boxing is probably the best form of self defence, even better, kick boxing.

Boxing is the best form of learning to fight..(not SELF DEFEND)...and potentially win fights...ComedyPilot has it right below...

People take up martial arts for all the wrong reasons...if you want to learn to win fights, then box, if you wish to learn to defend yourself and those you love, then perhaps learn another discipline

ComedyPilot said:
The best form of self defence is not being there in the first place.

CP, with this approach, you would make a very good Karateka, avoidance of conflict is the art of self defence.

cookiemonster said:
I would say that if you want to progress in Muay Thai, ditch the attitude as you will get creamed otherwise.

Muay Thai teaches you respect for your opponent and restraint. Neither of which you have shown on this forum.

Spot on, and my point exactley.

I do speak form a position of some experience, I trained (heavily) in shotokan Karate for over a decade, took my black belt and won numerous county competitions...I really loved the art, the discipline and the respect and have used these skills to great effect, not just in "street fights" but in the board room and in day to day life.

My advise, ask yourself what you REALLY want before joining some club with an exotic sounding martial art associated with it. If you want to get fit, gain street cred and win fights then boxing is probably for you.

If you wish to expand more than just your physical skill then there are other mediums from which to do so.

Also take a good look at YOU, are you interested in self discipline?.... because boxing needs plenty and martial arts require even more...Are you overly assertive or dominant, if so any combat sport may not be right for you and perhaps you should take up long distance running or solo cycling.

good luck with your first steps.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mikeitup said:
You mean Master Yau told you you had fast hands?
A compliment indeed then. His kung fu is excellent btw (I did LG for 5 years before Chow Gar and remember his stories he told when I attended some of Master Yau's courses at digbeth :rolleyes:).
Who do you train WC with btw?

I actually trained at ashby de la zouch the comment was at a competition i went to at birmingham many years ago and my instructor passed on the message , i did LG till i was ready for the black sash then found WC closer and found i liked it more especially what most people would call sticky hands.

Like i said injury aside i would still be training but looks like its cycling + a few weights is all i can fit in anyway .And i either train correctly or not at all i cannot see the point in going every other week for a couple of hours as JJ says you have to have discipline .

to quote yoda ...

"DO or do not " ;)

and heres a linky of somehting liek what i did

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjMCT1yTs0&feature=related

Night Train

Maker of Things
Being Chinese it was expected, or presumed, that I would do Kung Fu as part of my childhood up bringing. All the kids at school would try their karate on me.
I'd ignore them as much as I could and then, when they finally managed to hurt me, I'd deck 'em or, more usually, run if they were bigger then me or there were too many of them!;)

However, I have only ever studied the marital art of Karma Sutra, so much more fun and a lot more useful in ordinary life!:rolleyes::biggrin:

mikeitup

Veteran
cyberknight said:
I actually trained at ashby de la zouch the comment was at a competition i went to at birmingham many years ago and my instructor passed on the message , i did LG till i was ready for the black sash then found WC closer and found i liked it more especially what most people would call sticky hands.

Like i said injury aside i would still be training but looks like its cycling + a few weights is all i can fit in anyway .And i either train correctly or not at all i cannot see the point in going every other week for a couple of hours as JJ says you have to have discipline .

to quote yoda ...

"DO or do not " ;)

and heres a linky of somehting liek what i did

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjMCT1yTs0&feature=related

...there is no try :rolleyes: (Empire, best of the series :biggrin:)

mikeitup

Veteran
Night Train said:
Being Chinese it was expected, or presumed, that I would do Kung Fu as part of my childhood up bringing. All the kids at school would try their karate on me.
I'd ignore them as much as I could and then, when they finally managed to hurt me, I'd deck 'em or, more usually, run if they were bigger then me or there were too many of them!:rolleyes:

However, I have only ever studied the marital art of Karma Sutra, so much more fun and a lot more useful in ordinary life!:biggrin::biggrin:

You weren't trained in the art of chinese boxing by a shaolin monk from the age of 3?

I am DISAPPOINTED ;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
mikeitup said:
You weren't trained in the art of chinese boxing by a shaolin monk from the age of 3?

I am DISAPPOINTED ;)
Sorry, but no.

However, I can still do the splits, high kicks and push ups on my finger tips and have quite good flexibility.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
When I was in my early 20s I went through a period of learning martial arts. I used to do karate, aikido and, a bit later, judo. Then I dropped them when I had to move town to find work, where I took up kung fu for a while. I didn't become very good at them, but the thing I found with karate anyway was that you got hit much more in training than you ever would going out. On the few times I did get into scrapes, it was usually me against him and all his mates while my mate made himself scarce, so I'd have to be Bruce Lee not to get a hiding. Except for muggings, which are rare, you can nearly always talk your way out of confrontations (provided you don't lose your rag, or let pride get in the way too much).

Fixedwheelnut

I think what has been said already that finding a style that suits your ability and what you enjoy.

I did Judo and Ju-Jitsu and really enjoyed it but competition injuries and age take their toll :sad: thats pretty much when I concentrated on cycling more as I had always used it as cross training.
My Ju-Jitsu instructor was very good and always taught us the grading syllabus but also added the little extra moves that were more effective for actual street fights, including as mentioned staying on your feet where and whenever possible.

His main lesson was walk away[run if necessary] in the street you don't know how profficient in fighting a stranger is and no matter how good you feel in a dojo out there it's real and you only have one life, use what you know if you are cornered.

Can't believe anyone hasn't posted this clip yet, a prime example of being too cocky :smile:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIU7NLMItA

Top Bottom