Martial Arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Twenty Inch said:
Because you're (generally regarded as) a pillock.

:biggrin: hurry cookie, Blazer is going to turn nasty-wasty!

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
blazed said:
Who here trains in any martial art? I am starting Muay Thai training next week as ive been doing a bit of researching and i believe its one of the best in actual real life situation fighting.

I would say that if you want to progress in Muay Thai, ditch the attitude as you will get creamed otherwise.

Muay Thai teaches you respect for your opponent and restraint. Neither of which you have shown on this forum.

But Muay Thai is also great fun but a lot of hard work. Enjoy.

jeltz

Veteran
A lot of it depends on the club and the instructor.

My instructor has trained in Mauy Thai, Wing Tsung Kung Fu, Jujitsu, Tae Kwon do, Escrima (stick fighting) and teaches aspects from all of them, which gives quite a balanced system.

Mauy Thai tends to be intense and hard training but not great if a fight goes to the ground which is where BJJ comes in. IMHO MMA is developing into more into a sport than a combat system, but is still effective.

The art side of martial arts is where the tradition and history come into it. However if you are purely after an effective combat system then Krav Maga (developed by the Israeli army) is supposed to be brutal and effective.

It's down to what suits you and what you like doing. I love thai boxing but hardly do it at the moment. I did kick boxing on and off for a few years. The off was mainly due to work shifts and the class times meaning I could only train a couple of times a month at some points so I just didn't bother and went to the gym instead. I started thai boxing when we moved house and there was a club nearby. It suited me very well but that was on and off due to wife related problems (she has a problem with me doing stuff basically :biggrin:. We moved cities and I hardly train due to family commitments and wife related problems again. My eldest kid is old enough to train in Feb and she keeps telling me not to forget to take her so hopefully training will be back on again.

I did tae kwon do at school which I enjoyed and ninjutsu when I was a student. Thai boxing is king for me but I don't ever intend on getting in a fight. If I was to train for self defence I'd learn ground work too, maybe ju-jitsu, wresting or judo etc. Learning to run very quickly and jump over walls free-running/jackie chan style would probably help too:biggrin:

colinr

BJJ / Judo / grappling aren't great for 'real life' fighting, if you're up against more than one person going to ground is not a good idea.

Regarding Muay Thai, I've heard being tall helps a lot for all that kicking nonsense. Me, I stick to martial arts that suit the shorter gentleman.

jeltz

Veteran
ComedyPilot said:
The best form of self defence is not being there in the first place.

I think that if you train in a martial art you gain a level of confidence that is conveyed by your body language and that means you are less likely to be singled out as a victim.

Also I find martial arts people tend to be less incline to kick off as they are content that they have nothing to prove.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Towns up and down the country are brimming with yoofs that need to be 'hard'????

They join martial arts clubs to learn self defence to back up their burgeoning bravado (or lack of)

Quiet self confidence IMO is more credible than being 'hard'

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I would imagine the most sensible thing is to have an attitude that does not make everyone you interact with want to t**t you one.

:laugh:

Top Bottom