Martial Arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

giantscr2.0

cookiemonster said:
I would say that if you want to progress in Muay Thai, ditch the attitude as you will get creamed otherwise.

Muay Thai teaches you respect for your opponent and restraint. Neither of which you have shown on this forum.

But Muay Thai is also great fun but a lot of hard work. Enjoy.

Cookiemonster has 'hit the nail on the head'!!
I am a Tae Kwon-Do Instructor, I have also trained in Judo and Muay Thai.
Starting any Martial Art with a respectable club and a good instructor should not be about kicking the crap out of people.

You need to learn respect for your opponent, your fellow students and the art you have chosen to study.

Remember.. It doesn't matter how good you are, there will always be somebody better than you.

We teach our students that the first line of self defence is to walk away.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I would like to add to Giants post.

I have had people who have seen me come out of the Muay Thai club after training, it's based in a building which is amongst several pubs, and have goaded me to take them on.

Now, if I do, I'm the one that will get into trouble, not them. Also, I'm 6ft2 and it's always the wee guys that want to show off their 'masculinity' in front of their mates. I usually walk away to howls of derison.

I have always been taught to walk away and keep the Muay Thai for the ring.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
>>>>Towns up and down the country are brimming with yoofs that need to be 'hard'????
They join martial arts clubs to learn self defence to back up their burgeoning bravado (or lack of)

I'm sure that a lot of them do.... at least for a short while. In my experience these sort of people tend not to stick around too long though. Martial arts (any martial art) is bloody hard work, and requires a level of effort and dedication that tends to quickly winnow out the wanna be hard men - or at the very least proves to them that the small, middle aged korean gentleman standing at the front of the class will quickly hand them their spleen if they get above themselves :ohmy:

weevil

blazed said:
Who here trains in any martial art? I am starting Muay Thai training next week as ive been doing a bit of researching and i believe its one of the best in actual real life situation fighting.

For the very best training for "real-world" fights, I suggest getting along to your local athletics club and having a chat with their running coach.

As others have said, attitude is more improtant than ability. By the time someone swings a fist/knife/glass/bottle at you, your best chance of avoiding pain is long gone.

I've trained in a few styles and, by a remarkable coincidence, the most skilled practitioners in (almost) all of them were humble, quiet, level-headed folk...who had more sense than to hang around with a fight kicking off.

jeltz

Veteran
Lisa21 said:
And possibly a damn good pastin;);)

Aye, I've had a couple of cocky beginners go hard during what should be light sparring. They forget that its only borrowed and if they keep on they get a tap back, amazing how quickly they learn :rolleyes:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
blazed said:
actual real life situation fighting.

Can't believe no one has posted this link yet

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-kT2qE9d7Y

mikeitup

Veteran
re

User76 said:
Hey Blazed, my understanding is the best 'real world' approach is Krav Maga (or something) as developed by the Israeli Special Forces.

By far the best approach though, is to tw@ them from behind with a bottle when they least expect it:evil:

KV is a practical system (as are the other MA's mentioned before). But it is just a newer version of Military Comabatives (pioneered by Fairbairn/Sykes, Applegate, Charles Nelson, Peter Robins etc)

There is no perfect fighting style IMO.

Try a few, pick the one you like most and that suits your body structure etc and train, train, train!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I did lau gar kung fu and then moved onto wing chun .

I had to stop training due a combination of day/night shifts leaving me unable to get to the class, an injury i picked up at work that means i can do nornal stuff but if i train my arms to much my shoulder aches like heck ( i went back for 1 class and it hurt for 2 weeks ).
On top of that fatherhood and short time at work leave me no time and no money to train anyway .

As mikeitup said the best MA is the one that suits your body /feel for the style.I had fast hands according to the head of lau gar (based in birmingham) so i found wing chun suited me .

mikeitup

Veteran
cyberknight said:
I did lau gar kung fu and then moved onto wing chun .

I had to stop training due a combination of day/night shifts leaving me unable to get to the class, an injury i picked up at work that means i can do nornal stuff but if i train my arms to much my shoulder aches like heck ( i went back for 1 class and it hurt for 2 weeks ).
On top of that fatherhood and short time at work leave me no time and no money to train anyway .

As mikeitup said the best MA is the one that suits your body /feel for the style.I had fast hands according to the head of lau gar (based in birmingham) so i found wing chun suited me .

You mean Master Yau told you you had fast hands?
A compliment indeed then. His kung fu is excellent btw (I did LG for 5 years before Chow Gar and remember his stories he told when I attended some of Master Yau's courses at digbeth B)).
Who do you train WC with btw?

Top Bottom