Marzipan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Has anyone taken a big slab of marzipan with them cycling as an energy food?

I confess to having a 500g packet of marzipan in the kitchen I've actually just been cutting bits off to eat like it was a bag of sweeties. Made me wonder if it would be any good as an energy source given the amount of calories it has per 25g or is it all pretty much all sugar?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes, real marzipan is an excellent source of energy, but lots of the stuff out there is no more than flavoured sugar and fat.

Cut it up in squares and mix it in a small bag with salted cashews.
Riding snacks don't get much better!

ramses

Yuk! I remember as kid having a block of marzipan on a regular basis, and eating it like sweets, with my brother.

As a result I can't stand the sight or smell of the stuff! Makes me feel sick!

Ahhh! Childhood memories!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Marzipan is very nice, but it's not good as an energy food - it's full of refined sugar, which gives you a short, sharp boost .... but 20 minutes later you're even more knackered than before! You're better off taking slow-burn foods like flapjacks made with honey and mushed up bananas rather than sugar - and don't go nuts with the honey!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Globalti said:
I used to make coconut ice - you don't see much of that nowadays, do you?

God, no! I remember that and peppermint creams used to be the standby homemade presents for people at Christmas.

I was at a street party last week and there was an organic candyfloss stall and he was offering two flavours of candyfloos - natural or coconut. What a travesty! Coconut flavoured candyfloss?

I went for natural. And stopped him from dusting it with cinnamon! And I think the choice of flavours was what made him so slow - he was topping the drum up with a little portion of whatever flavour for each customer, instead of making a bigger batch at once and serving several people with it. Damn hippies.

ChrisKH

Guru
Dead right, Candy Floss should be au naturel.

Living in a seaside town as a kid, I used to have a mate who worked in one of those kiosks that sell fresh donuts (fried, not baked) and candy floss. He used to keep me well stocked if I was in the vicinity. Mmmn fried donuts and sugar.

Arch

Married to Night Train
At school, one of my friend's Mum owned 'the' candyfloss machine that did the school fetes and so on. I was (and still am) fascinated by the way you pour sugar in and this candyfloss just appears, as if from nowhere!

XmisterIS said:
Marzipan is very nice, but it's not good as an energy food - it's full of refined sugar, which gives you a short, sharp boost .... but 20 minutes later you're even more knackered than before! You're better off taking slow-burn foods like flapjacks made with honey and mushed up bananas rather than sugar - and don't go nuts with the honey!
Do you have a reciepe for the above XmisterIS?

ChrisKH said:
Dead right, Candy Floss should be au naturel.

Living in a seaside town as a kid, I used to have a mate who worked in one of those kiosks that sell fresh donuts (fried, not baked) and candy floss. He used to keep me well stocked if I was in the vicinity. Mmmn fried donuts and sugar.
Hot ring doughnuts with cinnamon sugar yum yum:laugh:.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Headgardener said:
Do you have a reciepe for the above XmisterIS?

It's not a hard and fast recipe, but I tend to use approximately 4:1:1 of rolled oats:banana:honey by weight.

Just mush it all up together, make it into patties, wrap in tin foil and bake for 20 mins. Leave to cool and take with you!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Marzipan is very nice, but it's not good as an energy food - it's full of refined sugar
Which is why you have to get proper marzipan. The stuff I have here is nearly 70% almonds. As I said, chop it up - add salted cashews and it makes brilliant bike food.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Tim Bennet. said:
Which is why you have to get proper marzipan. The stuff I have here is nearly 70% almonds. As I said, chop it up - add salted cashews and it makes brilliant bike food.

I'll have to check my packet of Marzipan to see if it gives a % of almonds.

EDIT - nope an horrific 24% almonds. I'll have to check the other brand next time I'm in the shop.

Top Bottom