Mason Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, I don’t really need a new bike but after seeing some posts on here I can’t stop looking at mason bikes. Does anyone have any feedback of the resolution and definition? I think this will be my next purchase but now I am a bit confused on which to pick, originally I was was set on the resolution steel for a bit more comfort but see a lot of reviews claim the Ali definition is the most comfortable aluminium bike they’ve ever rode.
I currently ride a carbon synapse and that is pretty comfortable, iv just fitted 32mm tyres and now seems even smoother over the rougher roads. I’m sure the steel would be more comfortable again but not sure if it will lose much in performance whereas I wonder how the aluminium definition would compare on comfort and performance levels
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member

si_c

Guru
No reason that aluminium bikes can't be as comfortable as steel - a lot of the comfort comes from the tyres and wheels anyway - as you've found with your 32mm upgrade.

My Kinesis Racelight is easily one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden on rough roads and that's an alloy frame. It compares very well to the steel bikes I've owned.

Edit to add: The definition in black :wub:

I have just put deposit down on the steel one. Arrives in Jan 2021. Reason I opted for steel,
I dont care about weight and at 13.5 stone I could loose half a stone with more cycling which is more than any frame or wheel set will ever do.
A 54cm definition is 8.8kilo and a steel 56 resolution is 9.02 I think. Bugger all in it.
I really liked both but at £300 more I went for steel as I felt it was expensive for Aluminium, a very flash nice aluminium though.
Customer service, email response was first class and so so helpful.
I plan on longer rides in Lake district and multi surface so again went for steel for a touch more comfort.
@footloose crow tested both and can give you helpful advice on difference, he went for Definition which I think is stunning too

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I have just put deposit down on the steel one. Arrives in Jan 2021. Reason I opted for steel,
I dont care about weight and at 13.5 stone I could loose half a stone with more cycling which is more than any frame or wheel set will ever do.
A 54cm definition is 8.8kilo and a steel 56 resolution is 9.02 I think. Bugger all in it.
I really liked both but at £300 more I went for steel as I felt it was expensive for Aluminium, a very flash nice aluminium though.
Customer service, email response was first class and so so helpful.
I plan on longer rides in Lake district and multi surface so again went for steel for a touch more comfort.
@footloose crow tested both and can give you helpful advice on difference, he went for Definition which I think is stunning too
Similar here sitting around 90kg at the moment so a kilo or 2 on the frame has no real effect.
I have spoke to mason a couple of times and they have been very helpful so far. Only issue is they only have a definition in to try at the mo and it’s the size down from what they’ve suggested to me plus it’s miles away from home so test rides are almost out of the equation.
just not sure if I’m to young for a steel bike being mid 30s 😂

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nice bikes but if dropping that sort of money I would make sure you know what you want.

PS I was looking at the top end, however even bottom end is quite spendy.

Similar here sitting around 90kg at the moment so a kilo or 2 on the frame has no real effect.
I have spoke to mason a couple of times and they have been very helpful so far. Only issue is they only have a definition in to try at the mo and it’s the size down from what they’ve suggested to me plus it’s miles away from home so test rides are almost out of the equation.
I nearly bought a Trek Emonda SL6. I think the steel bikes look smart and 100% know I won’t be any faster on the trek over the hills in the Lakes. My legs and lungs dictate that. Material is irrelevant, can’t help with the mid 30’s bit, got no idea what age has to do with frame material... looks, yes, as younger generation have different likes and dislikes to older generation and grew up in a different era, but material 🤷‍♂️ Nope no idea what that’s got to do with age.
I’m 44, my wife is 40, my kids 10, didn’t effect what bike I bought 😁

footloose crow

Über Member
Hi Daninplymouth.

I did a test ride on Definition and Resolution back in September when it was still possible to travel and see things. It is a long way from Cornwall but I knew I needed to try them out so we took the camper van down fora few days.

Definition - rides like a carbon bike in terms of instant feedback, stiffness and acceleration. It was a fast bike but still comfortable. I couldn't tell what it was made of, it just rode sublimely. I rode it on the local bike path (hard packed gravel), through the woods (little muddy) and on roads both smooth and rough. I took it up the steepest hills I could find. Nothing fazed it. It is simply a lovely bike to ride. Just read the reviews and although I was cynical about bike reviewers, they have got it right when they give this bike 10/10.

Resolution - rides like the Definition, all the advantages but it was slightly slower on exactly the same course. My power output was the same for both bikes (as estimated by Strava and my HRM) so I think this is accurate. In exchange it was a bit more comfortable, more stable, easier to ride when tired. Mason say that younger purchasers tend to go for the Definition and the more mature for the Resolution. I am 60 and I liked the Def. most.

The Definition made me smile. It is an irresistible bike. I don't think you could ever have enough of it. The Resolution is probably the bike I would use for long rides and rough lanes. It is very relaxing to ride but still sharp and responsive - just a bit less so than the Definition.

Both are great bikes.You couldn't go wrong and the Mason people are very easy to deal with and want a good relationship with their customers as you would expect from a tiny company. They are expensive compared to mass produced bikes and only you can decide if you want to pay the premium for what they offer. I would have no concerns about the warranty or after sales service.

I would have had a black one. Yellow bar tape and a St Piran flag on the seat tube. Perfect Cornish colours for a bike. You being in England though may prefer a different colour? They don't do Devon green unfortunately!

Having praised both Mason bikes I eventually purchased a titanium Enigma Etape. It combined the qualities of the Definition and the Resolution by being both comfortable and fast. It was also a bit more upright than the Mason bikes and I am only going to get less flexible as I get older. I still am not completely sure I made the right decision and went round and round in circles trying to choose.

si_c

Guru

My first road bike 5 years ago was steel - I think it's coloured my desires somewhat though - I tend to prefer traditional double triangle frames and round tubes :laugh:

Hi Daninplymouth.

I did a test ride on Definition and Resolution back in September when it was still possible to travel and see things. It is a long way from Cornwall but I knew I needed to try them out so we took the camper van down fora few days.

Definition - rides like a carbon bike in terms of instant feedback, stiffness and acceleration. It was a fast bike but still comfortable. I couldn't tell what it was made of, it just rode sublimely. I rode it on the local bike path (hard packed gravel), through the woods (little muddy) and on roads both smooth and rough. I took it up the steepest hills I could find. Nothing fazed it. It is simply a lovely bike to ride. Just read the reviews and although I was cynical about bike reviewers, they have got it right when they give this bike 10/10.

View attachment 559908

Resolution - rides like the Definition, all the advantages but it was slightly slower on exactly the same course. My power output was the same for both bikes (as estimated by Strava and my HRM) so I think this is accurate. In exchange it was a bit more comfortable, more stable, easier to ride when tired. Mason say that younger purchasers tend to go for the Definition and the more mature for the Resolution. I am 60 and I liked the Def. most.

View attachment 559909

The Definition made me smile. It is an irresistible bike. I don't think you could ever have enough of it. The Resolution is probably the bike I would use for long rides and rough lanes. It is very relaxing to ride but still sharp and responsive - just a bit less so than the Definition.

Both are great bikes.You couldn't go wrong and the Mason people are very easy to deal with and want a good relationship with their customers as you would expect from a tiny company. They are expensive compared to mass produced bikes and only you can decide if you want to pay the premium for what they offer. I would have no concerns about the warranty or after sales service.

I would have had a black one. Yellow bar tape and a St Piran flag on the seat tube. Perfect Cornish colours for a bike. You being in England though may prefer a different colour? They don't do Devon green unfortunately!

Having praised both Mason bikes I eventually purchased a titanium Enigma Etape. It combined the qualities of the Definition and the Resolution by being both comfortable and fast. It was also a bit more upright than the Mason bikes and I am only going to get less flexible as I get older. I still am not completely sure I made the right decision and went round and round in circles trying to choose.

View attachment 559910
I must be classed as more mature now then 😭 old at 44

This is interesting, as I've come in the opposite direction to footloose crow. I sold a Van Nicholas Amazon, which was a heavy duty tourer, as I wanted something lighter and faster. Loving titanium, I went for an Enigma Etape frame, to be built to my spec by my excellent LBS. Unfortunately, the frame was such poor quality, in fact described as unbuildable by my LBS, that it went back and, after some huffing, I had a refund. I don't want to go into detail. At that point, Mason was launching and I bought into Dom's meticulous approach. I really didn't know whether to go Definition or Resolution, despite being 59, and I couldn't get to Brighton to try. At that point, I wanted fast, so in the end bought a Definition, black of course. It's been wonderful and the handling and comfort is an absolute revelation. I've no experience of carbon, so can't compare to that. If I was doing it now, being older and a little more worn out, I'd go for a Resolution. The only other bike that comes near it for me would be a Fairlight Secan, even with its bias to gravel, but the external cables are a niggle. They do it in black though ...

Last edited:
This is interesting, as I've come in the opposite direction. I sold a Van Nicholas Amazon, which was a heavy duty tourer, as I wanted something lighter and faster. Loving titanium, I went for an Enigma Etape frame, to be built to my spec by my excellent LBS. Unfortunately, the frame was such poor quality, in fact described as unbuildable by my LBS, that it went back and, after some huffing, I had a refund. I don't want to go into detail. At that point, Mason was launching and I bought into Dom's meticulous approach. I really didn't know whether to go Definition or Resolution, despite being 59, and I couldn't get to Brighton to try. At that point, I wanted fast, so in the end bought a Definition, black of course. It's been wonderful and the handling is an absolute revelation. I've no experience of carbon, so can't compare to that. If I was doing it now, being older and a little more worn out, I'd go for a Resolution. The only other bike that comes near it for me would be a Fairlight Secan, even with its bias to gravel, but the external cables are a niggle. They do it in black though ...
Each post about older and opting for Resolution makes me feel like an utter Grandpa for picking it.....I’m only 44 god damn it 😥😥😥

footloose crow

Über Member
This is interesting, as I've come in the opposite direction to footloose crow. I sold a Van Nicholas Amazon, which was a heavy duty tourer, as I wanted something lighter and faster. Loving titanium, I went for an Enigma Etape frame, to be built to my spec by my excellent LBS. Unfortunately, the frame was such poor quality, in fact described as unbuildable by my LBS, that it went back and, after some huffing, I had a refund. I don't want to go into detail. At that point, Mason was launching and I bought into Dom's meticulous approach. I really didn't know whether to go Definition or Resolution, despite being 59, and I couldn't get to Brighton to try. At that point, I wanted fast, so in the end bought a Definition, black of course. It's been wonderful and the handling and comfort is an absolute revelation. I've no experience of carbon, so can't compare to that. If I was doing it now, being older and a little more worn out, I'd go for a Resolution. The only other bike that comes near it for me would be a Fairlight Secan, even with its bias to gravel, but the external cables are a niggle. They do it in black though ...

I wish I had read that or chatted to you before I ordered the Etape! I haven't read anything negative about Enigma before - or Mason for that matter. The geometry on the Etape was closest to what I needed. Mason thought they could change the geo around with stems and risers to make it work but it wasn't definite. The Etape was more comfortable for me and at similar power levels (although a different route) was marginally faster. That may be an illusion though! I will report back in six months with an update on quality. It hasn't arrived yet but promised to get to me in time for the Festive 500 challenge.

Top Bottom