Mason Revolution.....How did that happen ??!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Its good to see coloured bar tape, but I just can't pull it off, it always ends up grubby, on one bike I had brown leather and that ended up looking grubby, I have long since stopped trying and like shorts plain black is my only choice.
I wear gloves, and buy good quality non cork tape. I have enough bikes that no tape gets that much use. I gave up with Lizardskns, just wore badly for the cost (at least the grey and white did, red survived well). The silver Fizik has been on the Eq for many 000s of miles, looks as good as new

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'd personally go tubeless with the 30mm tyres and light off roading it makes sense.

As for groupset, again whilst it doesn't have the cachet of Ultegra, I'd go GRX, just for the fact it has technology like a clutched derailleur, which makes it much quieter and more suited for off road duties.

Lovely looking bike though, I do like the Mason stuff as well.

Would GRX still be a good option on road as thats where I would spend 80-90% of my time on this bike. I have my MTB for proper off road and single speed for town trips, rides with kids.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I'd personally go tubeless with the 30mm tyres and light off roading it makes sense.

As for groupset, again whilst it doesn't have the cachet of Ultegra, I'd go GRX, just for the fact it has technology like a clutched derailleur, which makes it much quieter and more suited for off road duties.

Lovely looking bike though, I do like the Mason stuff as well.

You can go for the RX Ultegra rear mech which has the clutch mechanism.

footloose crow

Über Member
Would GRX still be a good option on road as thats where I would spend 80-90% of my time on this bike. I have my MTB for proper off road and single speed for town trips, rides with kids.
I had long conversations about GRX vs Ultegra with Mason and Enigma. Mason suggested GRX chain set (for lower gearing) with Ultegra derailleur and the cassette is the same on both anyway. Enigma thought GRX derailleur was as good as Ultegra. Both of them went with GRX hoods. (The GRX brakes are slightly different too. Worth googling this.)

The big difference is the hood shape for GRX. It is more upright to give better grip on steep downhills (Cornwall abounds in 10-15% descents, usually with bends and crappy surfaces) and the brake pivot point is higher making it easier to brake from the hoods. It is the hoods that I will be on most of the time. Road based 105/Ultegra is more suited to braking from drops.

I also spend 90% of my time on roads but often back lanes rather than smoother A roads. On balance I went for GRX for the 48/31 front end and the easier braking from the hoods. Ultegra would have been a good choice too. Could have gone either way.

As for tyres...tubeless have definite advantages in the larger tyre widths. For 30mm I would be looking at tubeless.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Tubeless
Ultegra RX rear,
Couple of tweaks to the order and be good to go.
Thank you to everyone who has posted and given great valuable advice. I appreciate everyones comments. Sooo looking forward to this bike and glad I skipped on the Trek Emonda now

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I had long conversations about GRX vs Ultegra with Mason and Enigma. Mason suggested GRX chain set (for lower gearing) with Ultegra derailleur and the cassette is the same on both anyway. Enigma thought GRX derailleur was as good as Ultegra. Both of them went with GRX hoods. (The GRX brakes are slightly different too. Worth googling this.)

The big difference is the hood shape for GRX. It is more upright to give better grip on steep downhills (Cornwall abounds in 10-15% descents, usually with bends and crappy surfaces) and the brake pivot point is higher making it easier to brake from the hoods. It is the hoods that I will be on most of the time. Road based 105/Ultegra is more suited to braking from drops.

I also spend 90% of my time on roads but often back lanes rather than smoother A roads. On balance I went for GRX for the 48/31 front end and the easier braking from the hoods. Ultegra would have been a good choice too. Could have gone either way.

As for tyres...tubeless have definite advantages in the larger tyre widths. For 30mm I would be looking at tubeless.
Brilliant advice, yes just dropped a mail to Mason about Ultegra or GRX. I like the advice above and think a 48/31 and the GRX hoods are a good shout. I am not keen on the huge Ultegra hoods.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Tubeless
Ultegra RX rear,
Couple of tweaks to the order and be good to go.
Thank you to everyone who has posted and given great valuable advice. I appreciate everyones comments. Sooo looking forward to this bike and glad I skipped on the Trek Emonda now

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

footloose crow

Über Member

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Update: Mason say nothing really to choose between Ultegra & GRX. GRX would offer those extra low gears for tough hills but might run out of high gears on road. Both good and Ultegra good for road riding.
Edit: To cover the Ultegra ratios I would need the 46T chainring and the 10/42 cassette which is a huge !!! I think the 11/30 cassette with 50/34 chainring will be good for the lakes, maybe a Fred Whitton 🤪

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tripster

I thought the Masons actually look very good in black once I saw them in the flesh so to speak. I test rode a Resolution a few weeks ago and it was smooth and fast. The Definition (also by Mason) was faster and had very sharp reactions. I liked them both.

Think about a GRX drive set, prob 800 series if you want gearing for hills. That comes as 48/31 x 11/34. It shares a lot of ancestry with Ultegra. Mason would put a 48/31 on the front and Ultegra on the back for you if you ask.
Read a lot of reviews and it’s a very gravel specific group set even as a double. I doubt I will be off road on anything more than fire tracks and light gravel. This will definitely be a more road bike. I really wouldn’t fancy a 1x either going up Honister pass 😱

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Final build confirmed,
Resolution 56cm, opted for Schwalbe G- One Speeds, Hunt 4 Season Wheels
Ultegra 50/34 with a 30/11 cassette
Changed from Deda RHM02 bars to Deda Superzero Carbon bars

January 2021 for the Steel Resolution. They did have the definition in stock but .4 Grammies difference in frame weight doesn’t bother me in slightest. Both beautiful bikes (in my opinion) would happily take either

Oh and in the end I settled on the Blue frame rather than grey. Well to be honest I could not really decide so gave the casting vote to my 10 year old who said the blue was “awesome & sick” 😳🤷‍♂️
Beyond excited, really happy with this choice of bike....Roll on next year and Winlatter, Honister, Kirkstone passes😁

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Dear Mason Cycles customer,

Thank you for your order, and thank you again for your patience.

The Resolution frame you have on order with us has been picked up in Italy and is on it's way to us, they're due next week. If you have any questions about the process please don't hesitate to contact us about your order.

We will aim to build your bikes and ship your orders as quickly as we can, and if there are any dates you can't receive the order, please let us know.

Kind regards,

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
yay my really old mans choice of bike frame is on its way....

Last edited:
Top Bottom