mass produced frames are depressing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimmyTheFish

Hi all,

Been looking round this forum and see loads of posts re single gear and fixed frames but all the talk seems to be of mass produced models coming out of Taiwanese production lines. Its all Specialized this, Genesis that and Charge the other. All very underwhelming and depressing.

Does anyone here share my interest in hand built steel frames? Especially those made in Britiain?

I'm looking for recommendations for a hand built, fillet brazed or lugged, single gear steel frame, built for town use...and preferably made in an independent workshop in the UK.

JimmyTheFish

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mercian make really lovely bikes, and I'm sure they build for fixed single.

You can even use their frame builder app to paint the machine of your dreams...

Canrider

Guru
I think there's actually quite a lot of interest on the forum (or at least there was a while back) in UK-made and/or steel frames.

We could include Cotic, On-One, Bob Jackson, possibly Woodrup Cycles, Chas Roberts, Paul Hewitt, Paul Villiers, maybe Nimbus cycles, Wilson Cycles...

I do realise some of these source their frames overseas, however!

And that's just 30 seconds googling 'british steel bicycle frame'. I know I've heard mention of at least #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 on here.

I do ride a mass-produced fixed for commuting, but most of my bikes are classic British hand-made steel frames.

I have an Orbit, a Woodrup, a Dawes (and Dawes tandem). And my previous fixed was a Carlton, which I have now given to my son.

I wish I had the money to build up a Bob Jackson or a TJ Cycles Flying Gate, or a Rourke 953, or a Mercian, but I haven't, and I just have to live with that.

OP
OP
J

JimmyTheFish

Brilliant. Thanks John, Simon, Clarion & Canrider. This is the stuff I'm after.

Have a start budget of £400-£600 for the frame alone for this project build and now have a shortlist of the following:

Bob Jackson
TJ Cycles
Flying Gate
Rourke
Orbit
Woodrup
Cotic
On-One
Roberts
Villiers
Nimbus
Wilson
Hewitt

I'm pretty keen on getting Reynolds tubing or Columbus as long as the tubes are actually fixed in the UK.

Call me old fashioned but when I'm cracking open the wallet I prefer keep a fellow skilled countryman in work.

Thanks for all the help, I'll research the above and check their UK hand made credentials.

JtF

Goldie

Über Member
I'm saving harder than I've ever saved for anything bar the x-wing fighter toy when I was about 7 for a handbuilt bike from Wilsons of Sheffield. For the money, there is no way I'd buy something that was built outside the UK.

It is hard for me to get my head round why anyone would get excited about say, a Langster Steel or a Genesis Flyer rather than the British built singlespeeds that they take all of their styling cues from.

I'm not looking for a fixed or singlespeed at the moment, but if I were, I'd be hard pressed not to bid on this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORBIT-Red-Whi...0450828230?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20b3858fc6

mike-L

Are you just going brand new? I've just swopped my old Orbit frame for a 631 Graham Weigh tig welded job, which is lovely. They don't build bikes any more but you can find them pretty cheap second hand. There's also titanium if you can afford it - but again maybe second hand? If so add
Sabbath and Enigma.

Dave Yates
Bob Jackson
TJ Cycles
Flying Gate
Rourke
Orbit
Woodrup
Cotic
On-One
Roberts
Villiers
Nimbus
Wilson
Hewitt

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Attachments

• IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0175 Compressed.JPG
    IMG_0175 Compressed.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 80

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I've got a British built Bob Jackoson - lovely frame, I've just got to stop myself buying new bits for it all the time!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Pearson?

http://www.pearsoncy...3/Pearson_Hanzo

I mention because 1) Steel 2) they state it's 'custom built to specification', 'from the frame up'.

edit: Not so much for Jimmy per se, but for general information.

I used to stand outside the workshop and watch the frames being made in the early 80s. The shop would have about 15 gleaming frames hanging from the ceiling in 531 and 753 tubes. Magic.

OP
OP
J

JimmyTheFish

More good lines of enquiry...

especially Mather he's making some great shapes on one off projects....looks pricey but very interesting.

lets face it you go to a one off craftsman of that quality and it lifts this bike passion to a whole new level..I'm going to mail the boy

thanks all

Top Bottom